Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

South Central Florida Rendezvous?

Todd

I fly a Pipistrel Sinus out of Pompano Airpark (KPMP).  My normal soaring grounds are between Boca Raton (KBCT) and Palm Beach airspace from the coast to out west using Loxahatchee 7FD6, Belle Glade (X10), Duda (FA69), Okeelanta (FL41) as emergency fields if I don’t get a restart.  Yesterday conditions were good and after feathering over Boca I was able to soar out to McDaniel (0FL9) (49NM) before restarting for a quick climb to start my way home.  Cloud  bases were up over 4500’ so by arcing north I was able to stay within gliding range of one of the fore mentioned airports on the way over.  Although the claimed glide ratio is about 28:1 I’ve measured about 22:1 with a minimum sink around 250 fpm.   

I would like to find some other gliders to fly with.  If anyone is planning any soaring in the area or even out near Immokalee or La Belle I would be interested in coordinating to meet up overhead somewhere.  If you are flying a Stemme please keep the wings folded to approximate the performance of the rest of us:)

Text Todd 954 263-6574

I fly a Phoenix Motorglider out of Naples. There was a pretty active informal glider operation at LaBelle last year until Tom Irlbeck’s unfortunate accident. I’m not sure what’s going on there this season. 

It also looks like there is a new glider operation near Vero Beach.

Thanks Mike,  You gave me a great flight in your Phoenix last year.  I ended up with the Pipistrel as the wait for a new one was only 6 months verses a few years for a new Phoenix.  The Vero Beach operation is out of New Hibiscus (X52).  I flew in there last spring but it was a week day and nothing going on.  There were gliders in the hangar and it is a club operation.  I will try to get up that way again on a nice weekend and hope to see some gliders in the air. I’ll also look into La Belle.

Todd,

I am a ways away from finishing but there are two Xenos motorgliders being built at the Melbourne airport north side hangars.  Mine is more than a yr. away from completion but Larry's is getting close.  He started his engine for the 1st time this weekend.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,  I own a Sundancer which presently resides in California.  My goal is to enjoy it in South Florida this coming winter.  Presently working on the logistics e.g. finding a suitable hanger near my home in Wellington, Fl. ( Any leads appreciated!!!)  I do have a 28ft landscape trailer as my backup.

Planning on attending the wave camp in Minden in April and possibly bringing my motor glider.