Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Steve Sliwa

I am in the process of archiving the files and threads from the G109 Yahoo Groups into the TMGA Knowledgebase. A couple of these archived threads have resulted in users posting comments in the Knowledgebase. It's good to keep those comments there, but perhaps there are other that would like to continue the conversation. Since we use the forums as a place for dialogs, I thought I would post those threads here:

Abstract: Has anyone upgraded from the 2000 Limbach or the 2500 Grob to the 2400 Limbach? Are there any other certified conversions available?

Subject: Re-engine

Date: 6/9/07 2:37 AM

To: G109_Pilots@yahoogroups.com

Hi

Has anyone upgraded from the 2000 Limbach or the 2500 Grob to the 2400 Limbach? Are there any other certified conversions available?

Thanks, Rob Wilkinson

Subject: Re: [G109_Pilots] Re-engine

Date: 6/9/07 11:10 AM

To: <G109_Pilots@yahoogroups.com>

I know several that have converted from the Limbach 2000 to the 2400. The propeller needs to be changed too. There is also a certified conversion to the Rotax 912, but it's expensive and can only be done at the factory.

/ Nils

Subject: Re: Re-engine

Date: 6/10/07 1:43 PM

Hi Folks,

Steve Larmore and I both give rides in our A models here in Maine. Every season we say we are going to get the bigger engine and then we check on the price and we go back to our regular life where we climb at 300fpm.We would always be interested if someone finds a cheaper way to get more power. Keep us posted.---

Best wishes,

Dave

In G109_Pilots@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Wilkinson" <Soaringrob@...> wrote:

Thanks Nils:

My 109 engine is running strong but it has about 800 hours smoh. I want to do something different this time. I give rides on Martha's

Vineyard, MA in the summer. The extra power in climb would be great. Would you give me some info so I could contact the owners who have switched to the Limbach 2400 so I can make a judgement? Thanks for your response,

Rob

Subject: Re-engine

Date: 6/10/07 5:01 AM

Thanks Nils:

My 109 engine is running strong but it has about 800 hours smoh. I want to do something different this time. I give rides on Martha's Vineyard, MA in the summer. The extra power in climb would be great. Would you give me some info so I could contact the owners who have switched to the Limbach 2400 so I can make a judgement? Thanks for your response,

Rob

Here is a comment left in the Knowledgebase:

I have been looking at the engine induction in my Grob 109 with a view to get more power. There is an electric fan ( the advertisers call it a supercharger) that can be placed between the air filter and the carby in motor vehicles. Now that I have the external oil cooler and cowl flap approved and have had the heads rebuilt with the long life exhaust valves, I should give it a try. It may require some rejetting, etc. and I know the fuel economy will suffer a bit but I only need another 10to 15 Horsepower to make it a really great aircraft.

I have been talking to the Australian dealers for an engine called a UL260is that sounds like a good swapout.

Oh for more time!