Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Organizing the Touring MotorGlider Assocation

Steve Sliwa

I am posting this for Richard Pearl:

I am in discussions with the Soaring Society of America (SSA) about the possibility of creating a separate division within their organization devoted exclusively to TMG's. Our ranks are growing, and our missions are different from standard non-powered and even auxiliary-powered sailplane operations. We could use this organization as a force to promote the sport, disseminate information common to TMG's, and coordinate meets and fly-ins. The Grob 109 Yahoo group has pilots not only from America, but also around the world sharing information, support, and camaraderie. Your thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Finally, if you are out here in the West, don't forget about the SSA's annual convention in Reno, Nevada, February 2-4, 2012. I'll be giving a talk on TMG's and would love to see you there.

Edited by Webmaster
formatting

Richard Pearl sent me this e-mail and I am sharing it on the forum so that we can work on it together:

Steve

I'm starting to put together my talk at the SSA convention. See attached.

Can you get me a screen shot that I can include in slide 17.

All suggestions and comments welcome............

The session is 45 minutes including Q&A. Michael Haisten will do the Mechanical Issues component.

I'm thinking 30 minutes max for the talk and 15 for Q&A

BTW - I used this as an excuse to authorize .pptx, .ppt, .docx, and .doc types of attachments. This is because we trust members to avoid corrupted files.

SSA TMG speech.pptx

Edited by Webmaster
formatting

Hi Richard

I will get you a screenshot as we get closer. I am still tuning the website.

BTW I think it's a good start but I think you need to include:

• Why we fly touring motorgliders
    [*=1]We can combine soaring and flying
    [*=1]We can travel, visit, trek, and tour
    [*=1]We can fly even when soaring isn't good and still complete the mission
    [*=1]We don't need a tow-plane
    [*=1]Most of our ships permit us to carry passengers
    [*=1]We don't land off-field
    [*=1]Many of our craft are Type Certificated
    [*=1]We invite power pilots who have medical issues (we are the LSA of gliders)
  • Touring MotorGlider Flyins ...
  • We may develop 'fun' contests and competitions related to soaring/fuel efficiency that combines the fun of touring and the challenge of soaring.

We have plenty of time to tune this presentation with you. Thanks for taking the lead.

Steve

Just to add to the above list:

-We can fly complex aircraft that power pilots need a bunch of separate endorsements for, like Retractable Gear, Variable pitch/Feathering props, tail draggers, Jet engines, Multi engines etc.

- Glider pilots have no limitations on how far, high, or long we can Fly like some Pilot Ratings, and we can fly into any class of airspace we are equipped for and can get clearance into.

- Many TMG's can be registered as either SEL or Glider aircraft type to suit your existing pilot rating.

-TMG's are available in price ranges to suit just about any budget from the Moni ~$3K to the Stemme's ~$200K+

- TMG's are available as Manufactured ready to fly, Kits or scratch built to suit any pilots interests.

- Some TMG's even have extended aerobatic capabilities.

- TMG's are generally more fuel efficient by nature and design.

• 1 month later...

Hopefully we will get a full report from Richard soon. In the meantime, attached is the note that Richard Pearl sent to the participants and co-sponsors of our Touring Motor Glider booth at the 2012 Annual SSA Convention in Reno, NV:

The SSA convention was an outstanding success for the TMGA, and these kudos' are meant for both the manufacturers who sponsored the booth (Pipistral, Ximango, Lambada, Diamond, Phoenix), and those who did the stand-up time: Ron Snedecor (the mainstay), along with Mike Tomazin and Joe Kulbeth (Lambada), and Russ Hustead (Diamond).

We gave out lots of product literature which we all hope turns into sales. We also had an opportunity to talk to scores of interested pilots.

I thought my presentation went well, especially with Michael Haisten's expertise on the mechanical issues rounding out the talk. The only negative to the entire affair was the SSA Board of Director's tabling our proposal for Divisional status. Apparently there is an internal squabble going on that transcends our request, but I'm still pretty steamed and will be sending them a letter.

The website continues to be the centerpiece of this entire effort - one can't say enough about Steve's ever-building masterpiece. We're now at 125 members, growing daily, and 25 show participants signed our message sheet to be contacted (letter sent today to all). Lots more people picked up the TMGA business card and History.

Ron carted home all the materials which we will keep for display at the Minden Fly-In this summer, or where ever else is appropriate. I'll be sending out an expense summary to the "Big 5". Bottom line, we went slightly over budget which the TMGA will cover.

Once again, thank you all!

Here are some pictures from Richard as well:

SSA_Convention_03.JPG

SSA_Convention_01.JPG

SSA_Convention_02.JPG

Edited by Webmaster
adding pictures