Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

2012 Touring Motorglider Fly-In - July 12-15

Steve Sliwa

Save the date for the 2012 TMG Fly-In: July 12 – 15, Minden, Nevada.

The 2011 TMG Fly-In was a roaring success. Twenty four (24) ships graced the flight line, including: Grob, Taifun, Ximango, Stemme, Lambada, Samba, Phoenix, Diamond, Pipistral, and Fournier. Aircraft came from California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Florida. Between pilots, friends, and prospective buyers, 40 people participated in the flying, presentations, and meals. We believe it is the largest gathering of TMG's in the country, and most likely the world. Five ships went on to Parowan, Utah to link up with the Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association's annual soaring event.

Responding to suggestions, we are adding a day to the event this year, starting on Thursday July 12th and concluding on Sunday July 15th. Perfect weather is guaranteed! With an extra day we can organize a fly-out to an area airport for lunch. Besides, it is Minden, Nevada, with some of the best soaring conditions in the country, so let's take advantage of it.

SoaringNV will again be the on-site host, providing facilities (office/hangar for meetings), general logistics and soaring expertise. We'll also have presentations on topics of general interest: weather, soaring, and mechanical

issues. If you have any suggestions, please let us know. For those interested, you can link up with the ASA fly-in at Parowan, which is scheduled for July 2 – 12.

• 5 months later...

We're now less than two months away from the Fly In. If you're planning on coming, or thinking of coming, please sign up in the Events section of this web site, under the 2012 Fly-In area.

Morning presentations will begin on Friday, July 13th and continue through Sunday, with group introductions and Minden area orientation the first order of business. Over the three days we intend to have the following presentations: weather (daily), mountain flying basics, mountain weather, mechanical/structural issues, medical issues and flying, "show and tell" briefings for both new TMG aircraft and legacy aircraft, and a special DVD showing of Mira Slovak's aviation (and other high-speed) exploits; Mira flew his Fournier from Germany to California. If you have a special topic you think would be valuable to the group, please let us know.

Glider pilots are a hungry bunch and Thursday night will see a catered dinner at the airport, Friday night at a local Basque restaurant, and Saturday night at the Minden Airport restaurant (Taildragger). We're also planning a possible fly-out for Sunday lunch to Bridgeport, CA, as a send-off to flying home.

As we enter the home stretch we need solid numbers to fix dinner arrangements and vehicle transportation, so do, please, sign up TODAY. Also, we have made special hotel arrangements with David Walley's Resort and Spa. See a prior posting for details. If you're coming you need to make your reservations right away. The weekend for the Fly-In is one of the busiest weekends in the Minden area and most hotels/motels are already at maximum capacity.

Regards, and write in comments and/or suggestion.

Richard Pearl, Ron Snedecor

Fly-In coordinators

We're now less than two months away from the Fly In. If you're planning on coming, or thinking of coming, please sign up in the Events section of this web site, under the 2012 Fly-In area.

Morning presentations will begin on Friday, July 13th and continue through Sunday, with group introductions and Minden area orientation the first order of business. Over the three days we intend to have the following presentations: weather (daily), mountain flying basics, mountain weather, mechanical/structural issues, medical issues and flying, "show and tell" briefings for both new TMG aircraft and legacy aircraft, and a special DVD showing of Mira Slovak's aviation (and other high-speed) exploits; Mira flew his Fournier from Germany to California. If you have a special topic you think would be valuable to the group, please let us know.

Glider pilots are a hungry bunch and Thursday night will see a catered dinner at the airport, Friday night at a local Basque restaurant, and Saturday night at the Minden Airport restaurant (Taildragger). We're also planning a possible fly-out for Sunday lunch to Bridgeport, CA, as a send-off to flying home.

As we enter the home stretch we need solid numbers to fix dinner arrangements and vehicle transportation, so do, please, sign up TODAY. Also, we have made special hotel arrangements with David Walley's Resort and Spa. See a prior posting for details. If you're coming you need to make your reservations right away. The weekend for the Fly-In is one of the busiest weekends in the Minden area and most hotels/motels are already at maximum capacity.

Regards, and write in comments and/or suggestion.

Richard Pearl, Ron Snedecor

Fly-In coordinators

• 2 weeks later...

Once again Eric and i will attend and give a talk regarding TMG maintenance issues. We would like to cover any topics you may want more information on. If you have a particular interest, please let us know here so we can prepare the best possible talk we can. I believe Richard Pearl will be selling rotten tomatoes at the back of the room for your tossing pleasure!

Once again Eric and i will attend and give a talk regarding TMG maintenance issues. We would like to cover any topics you may want more information on. If you have a particular interest, please let us know here so we can prepare the best possible talk we can. I believe Richard Pearl will be selling rotten tomatoes at the back of the room for your tossing pleasure!

If I fly to Minden from upstate NY for the event next month I suppose I will follow !-80 and the Union Pacific over the Rockies from Cheyenne WY to Salt Lake City. Is there a better, safer way? I would appreciate insights from anyone who has flown this or a better route. Thanks. Dave Foulke p.s. I am new to the organization and this site. Is this the best way to reach out to others?

If I fly to Minden from upstate NY for the event next month I suppose I will follow !-80 and the Union Pacific over the Rockies from Cheyenne WY to Salt Lake City. Is there a better, safer way? I would appreciate insights from anyone who has flown this or a better route. Thanks. Dave Foulke p.s. I am new to the organization and this site. Is this the best way to reach out to others?

Hi David

This a good way to reach out to membership. I will queue a couple of others to offer advice.

I think the way you are proposing is good also because you want to take a 'cooler' route in July both for pilot comfort and for runway operations.

Steve

Hi David

This a good way to reach out to membership. I will queue a couple of others to offer advice.

I think the way you are proposing is good also because you want to take a 'cooler' route in July both for pilot comfort and for runway operations.

Steve

When you find out the best way to make the crossing, let me know! I know Roland Martin has done it. bruce@schimmelcom

When you find out the best way to make the crossing, let me know! I know Roland Martin has done it. bruce@schimmelcom

Guest chasers03
Guest chasers03

Hi David,

I am based in N57 in Southestern PA and plan to take my Ximango again to Minden. The route along I-80 is my default route. Max elevation of I-80 is 8700 ft, with a good number of airports on the way. Depending on weather and time available I consider some variations to maximize sightseeing pleasure. Last year I went further North to see Mt. Rushmore; then on to Salt Lake City and Minden (along V6). Originally I wanted to go via Yellowstone but bad weather prevented that. On the way back I stopped in Parowan for the ASA competition. Thes guys have a excellent BBQ every night. Great araea - Bryce Canyon and more! After a fuel stop in Montrose my old Ximango made it up to 15000 ft and we crossed the Rockies at Pikes Peak. I had prepared a route over several 12000+ passes but I could ignore that plan and go straight.

Three years ago I went to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival and on to Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Ihis might be an alternate route if we have bad weather further North.

Bruce Schimmel plans to fly with me in his Ximango. Do you want to hook up with us along the route?

Roland Martin

610-246-9341

Hi David,

I am based in N57 in Southestern PA and plan to take my Ximango again to Minden. The route along I-80 is my default route. Max elevation of I-80 is 8700 ft, with a good number of airports on the way. Depending on weather and time available I consider some variations to maximize sightseeing pleasure. Last year I went further North to see Mt. Rushmore; then on to Salt Lake City and Minden (along V6). Originally I wanted to go via Yellowstone but bad weather prevented that. On the way back I stopped in Parowan for the ASA competition. Thes guys have a excellent BBQ every night. Great araea - Bryce Canyon and more! After a fuel stop in Montrose my old Ximango made it up to 15000 ft and we crossed the Rockies at Pikes Peak. I had prepared a route over several 12000+ passes but I could ignore that plan and go straight.

Three years ago I went to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival and on to Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Ihis might be an alternate route if we have bad weather further North.

Bruce Schimmel plans to fly with me in his Ximango. Do you want to hook up with us along the route?

Roland Martin

610-246-9341

Having made numerous trips back and forth to the west coast, one thing I would suggest is call ahead to your intended stops to directly inquire about fuel availability. I found out the hard way that just because an airport is listed as having fuel on the charts or on Airnav or on other websites it doesn't always mean it's true. Plan your fuel stops carefully, especially west of the Mississippi. I'd also invest in the XM weather overlay for your GPS. This is a very handy tool to help you avoid weather hundreds of miles before you get to it so your course corrections are minor, rather than flying up on the weather and having to divert a long way around it. Once you get past the Rockies I've found it necessary to fly as high as possible to avoid the thermal chop in the afternoon, especially in the desert. Out west I very often find myself cruising above 15,000'. To fully enjoy the soaring conditions you'll definitely want O2, too. Check out the Mountain High EDS O2 system if you don't already have one.

Regards,

John Lawton

Whitwell, TN (TN89)

Ximango #135

Having made numerous trips back and forth to the west coast, one thing I would suggest is call ahead to your intended stops to directly inquire about fuel availability. I found out the hard way that just because an airport is listed as having fuel on the charts or on Airnav or on other websites it doesn't always mean it's true. Plan your fuel stops carefully, especially west of the Mississippi. I'd also invest in the XM weather overlay for your GPS. This is a very handy tool to help you avoid weather hundreds of miles before you get to it so your course corrections are minor, rather than flying up on the weather and having to divert a long way around it. Once you get past the Rockies I've found it necessary to fly as high as possible to avoid the thermal chop in the afternoon, especially in the desert. Out west I very often find myself cruising above 15,000'. To fully enjoy the soaring conditions you'll definitely want O2, too. Check out the Mountain High EDS O2 system if you don't already have one.

Regards,

John Lawton

Whitwell, TN (TN89)

Ximango #135

• 5 weeks later...

People started to arrive to the fly-in. You can see the routes in-bound for several of us on the Spot Locator links to the Event Tab. Roland Martin came from Pennsylvania and Al and Susan Simmons came from Connecticut on a three week trip that included flying with the ASA crew at Parowan. Steve Chase came from South Carolina and he also came via Parowan.

People started to arrive to the fly-in. You can see the routes in-bound for several of us on the Spot Locator links to the Event Tab. Roland Martin came from Pennsylvania and Al and Susan Simmons came from Connecticut on a three week trip that included flying with the ASA crew at Parowan. Steve Chase came from South Carolina and he also came via Parowan.

Hi Gang

Well the arrival day was Thursday and several birds came in. I will get a complete list later. Most of us relaxed around the hangar and then departed Fights Cafe. I didn't get an official count or picture (will try to do better) but we had about 18 of us. The food was good, service great, and the stories were even better.

The pilots that attended Parowan had some terrific weather mixed in with a couple of monsoons. They said they really enjoyed it. Ron said he had his longest soaring flight and the Simmons likewise said they had a 6 hour soaring flight.

The sun is up this morning and the activities start at 9AM so we will get the weather outlook for our even shortly.

We will try to keep you posted here.

Hi Gang

Well the arrival day was Thursday and several birds came in. I will get a complete list later. Most of us relaxed around the hangar and then departed Fights Cafe. I didn't get an official count or picture (will try to do better) but we had about 18 of us. The food was good, service great, and the stories were even better.

The pilots that attended Parowan had some terrific weather mixed in with a couple of monsoons. They said they really enjoyed it. Ron said he had his longest soaring flight and the Simmons likewise said they had a 6 hour soaring flight.

The sun is up this morning and the activities start at 9AM so we will get the weather outlook for our even shortly.

We will try to keep you posted here.