Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Lambada L/D

Resilient

I recently bought a Lambada and through some experimentation I am getting a glide ratio of around 15:1 at 65kts with the short tips. According to the polar I should be getting something a lot closer to 26:1.

At 65kts with the prop feathered I am getting a descent of around 400-450ft/min. Again according to the polar, that should be happening at more like 85kts.

Anyone else experienced similar differences? It really seems odd to be so far off.

I've had a 2001 tricycle gear Lambada since 2006, but have never flown it with the small tips.  With the extended tips I'm pretty sure I get a glide of around 28/1 and a sink rate of around 200fpm at 65 mph.  I've never really done a test on purpose in calm air, but from what I've seen over the 13 years of flying this wonderful aircraft, these are the averages I've come up with.  Your numbers really do sound too high.  You probably did this, but make sure you do your test early in the morning before the ground heats up, in different directions and do it a couple of times on different days. An average of those results will tell the tale. 

• 2 years later...