Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Spring Soaring in Southern Utah

Trace A

Beautiful afternoon of spring soaring near Zion National Park. Ridge lift off the Hurricane Cliffs and surrounding mesas mixed with a few minor thermals. Altude is approximately 8500 feet. I be honest, I motored up to 9000 ft before snapping these images. Three gliders from Northern Utah were in the area that afternoon. They actually launched closer to 6000 and climbed through this elevation. post-154-144848145849_thumb.jpg

post-154-144848145864_thumb.jpg

post-154-144848145878_thumb.jpg

Beautiful afternoon of spring soaring near Zion National Park. Ridge lift off the Hurricane Cliffs and surrounding mesas mixed with a few minor thermals. Altude is approximately 8500 feet. I be honest, I motored up to 9000 ft before snapping these images. Three gliders from Northern Utah were in the area that afternoon. They actually launched closer to 6000 and climbed through this elevation. [ATTACH=CONFIG]59[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]58[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]57[/ATTACH]

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to hear someone is having a spring. We're sure not having much of one here in SE Tennessee......2nd crap year in a row, too. La Nina, go away....

Glad to hear someone is having a spring. We're sure not having much of one here in SE Tennessee......2nd crap year in a row, too. La Nina, go away....

John, didn't you report one fantastic day of soaring several weeks ago in TN? Perhaps La Nina gives waves of 1 week of good weather followed by 3 weeks of bad?

John, didn't you report one fantastic day of soaring several weeks ago in TN? Perhaps La Nina gives waves of 1 week of good weather followed by 3 weeks of bad?

We've had a day here and a day there, but nothing remotely like a typical spring here. In a typical spring I would have logged somewhere between 80-100 hours by now. This year I've logged about 25 or so and 1/3rd of that is motoring somewhere. Ordinarily, we'd see bases between 8,000'-11,000' msl. This spring the best day I've seen was about 8000', but mostly it's been in the 5,000'-6000' range. We've had persistent overcast and high cirrus that is just enough to kill the convection. Very little wave this year, too. Thermal soaring usually starts in mid February, but not this year. March started off promising, but turned out very wet, April was bone dry and either blasting wind, or stable. Long range forecasts (for what that is worth) are showing the second half of May here is going to be very wet. Summer is usually hot, hazy and stable, unless a drought sets up. So, not much to look forward to there. At least the sweet corn will be good.....and my blackberries are LOADED this year.....

We've had a day here and a day there, but nothing remotely like a typical spring here. In a typical spring I would have logged somewhere between 80-100 hours by now. This year I've logged about 25 or so and 1/3rd of that is motoring somewhere. Ordinarily, we'd see bases between 8,000'-11,000' msl. This spring the best day I've seen was about 8000', but mostly it's been in the 5,000'-6000' range. We've had persistent overcast and high cirrus that is just enough to kill the convection. Very little wave this year, too. Thermal soaring usually starts in mid February, but not this year. March started off promising, but turned out very wet, April was bone dry and either blasting wind, or stable. Long range forecasts (for what that is worth) are showing the second half of May here is going to be very wet. Summer is usually hot, hazy and stable, unless a drought sets up. So, not much to look forward to there. At least the sweet corn will be good.....and my blackberries are LOADED this year.....