Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Collection of Rotax Forum Feeds

Newshound

Hello again,

after eight months of modifying my Europa classic with 912S I am back in the air again.

My flight inspector said after he test flew the aircraft: "funny aircraft but be careful with your payload, it is absolutely not overpowered!"

Well, I thought that impression you will get when you are used to turboprops, like he is.

But today it was me who made the same painful experience.

It is not so easy to realize the lack of with a CS prop but my europa now climbs solo as before with passenger and it seams the have all shortened the runways.

After my last flight today I opened the cowling after half an hour on ground and even the top of the carbs have been that hot you could not leave your hand on them.

Now it is clear for me: I need a stopcock to use the hot water only when needed.

But I wonder if it is only the heat that is responsible for the lack of power

or also the longer suction tube ( don't know the right English term).

Has anybody made similar experiences.

Tomorrow I have my test flight with the flight instructor but I will not let him in before I have got it fixed.

Thank you

Juergen

More...

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newshound

• Steve Sliwa

• Michael Haisten

• Gfeldman

Hi guys..on the last few flights I have made with my 503dcdi powered trike my PTO EGT has indicated a much lower temp than the Mag end EGT,

Ind 500c 930f with the other cylinder at 600c 1110f at cruise RPM with a corresponding reading at lower RPMs,

Although 5 to 10 mins into flight both EGT needles are reading exactly the same at about 600c 1110f and then stay that way,

The duel CHT read the same all the time and the engine is as sweet as a nut with no ill effects...I'm wondering if the sender units can become a bit lazy ????

The engine and carb set-up are both only 18 mths old with around 25 hours on the clock...the carbs where balanced about 10 hours ago,

As I say after 5 mins or so its all ok temp wise and stays that way till the next flight,

During flight I have tried quickly opening and closing the choke to see if that makes any difference...it doesn't,

Nick.

More...

Hi guys..on the last few flights I have made with my 503dcdi powered trike my PTO EGT has indicated a much lower temp than the Mag end EGT,

Ind 500c 930f with the other cylinder at 600c 1110f at cruise RPM with a corresponding reading at lower RPMs,

Although 5 to 10 mins into flight both EGT needles are reading exactly the same at about 600c 1110f and then stay that way,

The duel CHT read the same all the time and the engine is as sweet as a nut with no ill effects...I'm wondering if the sender units can become a bit lazy ????

The engine and carb set-up are both only 18 mths old with around 25 hours on the clock...the carbs where balanced about 10 hours ago,

As I say after 5 mins or so its all ok temp wise and stays that way till the next flight,

During flight I have tried quickly opening and closing the choke to see if that makes any difference...it doesn't,

Nick.

More...

Can anyone please tell me if the drainplug is M12x1.25, M12x1x5 or M12x1.75. I am ordering a drainvalve but dont want to remove the plug in the oiltank just to check. The Part manual only says M12x12mm

Thanks,

Thomas

More...

Can anyone please tell me if the drainplug is M12x1.25, M12x1x5 or M12x1.75. I am ordering a drainvalve but dont want to remove the plug in the oiltank just to check. The Part manual only says M12x12mm

Thanks,

Thomas

More...

I've now got about 10 Phase I flight hours on my Kitfox's new/old greyhead 582. It has one of the original C gearboxes. Apparently Rotax made an early design change to the spider and propeller shaft seal but mine was not updated.

My seal is leaking gear oil (about 5-10 CC/hr). My local Rotax service center told me it would likely leak a bit for the first 15 hours but then tighten up. I'm dubious. In any case, I was told the original seal is no longer available from Rotax. Does anyone have information on a part number or where I might be able to get a replacement? It would seem ridiculous to have to replace a low-time gearbox just for a seal.

-- Paul S

More...

I've now got about 10 Phase I flight hours on my Kitfox's new/old greyhead 582. It has one of the original C gearboxes. Apparently Rotax made an early design change to the spider and propeller shaft seal but mine was not updated.

My seal is leaking gear oil (about 5-10 CC/hr). My local Rotax service center told me it would likely leak a bit for the first 15 hours but then tighten up. I'm dubious. In any case, I was told the original seal is no longer available from Rotax. Does anyone have information on a part number or where I might be able to get a replacement? It would seem ridiculous to have to replace a low-time gearbox just for a seal.

-- Paul S

More...

Looking for an exhaust and after muffler for a 582 Blue top. w00t.png Sent an email to Conair and Galaxy today; Conair got back to me within 1/2 an hour, on a Sunday too, how's that for service; smile.png haven't heard from Galaxy of yet whistling.png . Skydrive only do main silencer and manifold combined (which I don't need) and no after muffler. pinch.png

Any other suggestions please, UK only. sad.png

John

ps Sorry, Skydrive do do an after muffler, but I still don't want to have to buyv a manifold as well.n dizzy.png

More...

Looking for an exhaust and after muffler for a 582 Blue top. w00t.png Sent an email to Conair and Galaxy today; Conair got back to me within 1/2 an hour, on a Sunday too, how's that for service; smile.png haven't heard from Galaxy of yet whistling.png . Skydrive only do main silencer and manifold combined (which I don't need) and no after muffler. pinch.png

Any other suggestions please, UK only. sad.png

John

ps Sorry, Skydrive do do an after muffler, but I still don't want to have to buyv a manifold as well.n dizzy.png

More...

I'd like if someone can explain why gearbox propeller reduction rate is different 1:2,43 versus 1:2,27 between rotax 912 uls and ul ( 100 hp and 80 hp versions of rotax 912 engine).

The two different versions of this engine have the same max and cruise rpm (5800 and 5500 ) and the rpm operative envelope is more or less the same ( with different level of power and consumption).

Thanks

Nicola di Biase

More...

I'd like if someone can explain why gearbox propeller reduction rate is different 1:2,43 versus 1:2,27 between rotax 912 uls and ul ( 100 hp and 80 hp versions of rotax 912 engine).

The two different versions of this engine have the same max and cruise rpm (5800 and 5500 ) and the rpm operative envelope is more or less the same ( with different level of power and consumption).

Thanks

Nicola di Biase

More...

I'm rebuilding/reassembling a Rotax 503 for a friend. Most of the information regarding the build has been found from parts diagrams, owner's manuals, and maintenance manuals.

However, I see a tricky spot coming up soon. I have the main engine assembly complete, and will be reinstalling the top shroud and the belt driven cooling fan shortly (as soon as the top shroud is done de-greasing). The problem I foresee is that I do not know which spark plug wire attaches to which coil.

The coils are mounted vertically on the cooling fan's metal housing assembly. Fortunately, the two sets of wires that attach to the coils has one of them labeled "lower"...so the other set of wires is easy to figure out.

After I figure out which spark plug wire goes to which coil, and I reattach the coil wires, I still have four wires coming from the block with no happy place.

The wires are:

- a yellow wire

- a yellow w/ black solid line

- a green black striped line

- a green w/ black solid line

So... Can anyone help me with which coil goes to which cylinder? And does anyone have a good wiring diagram for the engine and/or a paraglide (?) ultralight?

More...

I'm rebuilding/reassembling a Rotax 503 for a friend. Most of the information regarding the build has been found from parts diagrams, owner's manuals, and maintenance manuals.

However, I see a tricky spot coming up soon. I have the main engine assembly complete, and will be reinstalling the top shroud and the belt driven cooling fan shortly (as soon as the top shroud is done de-greasing). The problem I foresee is that I do not know which spark plug wire attaches to which coil.

The coils are mounted vertically on the cooling fan's metal housing assembly. Fortunately, the two sets of wires that attach to the coils has one of them labeled "lower"...so the other set of wires is easy to figure out.

After I figure out which spark plug wire goes to which coil, and I reattach the coil wires, I still have four wires coming from the block with no happy place.

The wires are:

- a yellow wire

- a yellow w/ black solid line

- a green black striped line

- a green w/ black solid line

So... Can anyone help me with which coil goes to which cylinder? And does anyone have a good wiring diagram for the engine and/or a paraglide (?) ultralight?

More...

I have a 582 blue head (12 hours) and the engine tach on my EIS will fail during flight ever though the engine is running. I can reset the display and it will read correctly. Also when I turn off one of my ignition switches the tach goes to zero and if I advance the throttle it will show half of what the engine actually is running. The other switch when I close it acts correctly. I contacted EIS, they sent me a new display to try and the same thing happened. Any clue where to look next?

K. O

More...

I have a 582 blue head (12 hours) and the engine tach on my EIS will fail during flight ever though the engine is running. I can reset the display and it will read correctly. Also when I turn off one of my ignition switches the tach goes to zero and if I advance the throttle it will show half of what the engine actually is running. The other switch when I close it acts correctly. I contacted EIS, they sent me a new display to try and the same thing happened. Any clue where to look next?

K. O

More...

What would be the complication of just replacing the defective pressure fuel hose with a high quality 1/4" diameter fuel line (firesleeved) such as Aeroquip. Clean out the other lines and carbs and then get back to flying? Is there something I am missing here?

More...

What would be the complication of just replacing the defective pressure fuel hose with a high quality 1/4" diameter fuel line (firesleeved) such as Aeroquip. Clean out the other lines and carbs and then get back to flying? Is there something I am missing here?

More...