Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Training and Finding the Proper Ship

tomhall

I am interested in training, finding out which motor glider I fit in ( 6' - 4" & 250 lbs. ) and eventually purchasing a used, 2 passenger, machine in the 50K - 60K range. I live in MN, but am retired and can go when and where I like. Just starting the process, one step at a time. Thanks for any direction. Tom Hall in MN

Hi Tom,

I got into motor gliding at the age of 60 after a break from conventional gliding. In terms of choosing a ship my advice is to think long and hard on what type of flying you want to do. I own both a modern high performance composite ship which is great for touring.I also own shares in classic TMG's - RF4 (single seat aerobatic) RF5 - dual good xcountry machine and Motorfalke- great training ship and local fun machine but rear end gets num after 2 hours soaring!!!!!

Given your height, weight and budget I would look at RF5 or a Ogar - both good fun ad cheap to operand the latter huge cockpit and great viz.

Happy and Safe Flying.

Ollie

Ollie, Thanks for your response; the hunt begins ! I see you are in South Africa; I fly the RAF 2000 gyroplane ( 200 hrs. ) . The company was bought was moved from Canada to S.A. some years ago. Quite a few in your skies. Thanks again. Tom in MN

Hi Tom,

I recall towards the end of last year both an RF5 and an Ogar for sale on the Soaring Society of America web site - I suggest check it out or post a "Wanted" and see what developes

Yes -the RAF2000 popular here. My friend is the local agent for Arrowcopter and we have a large and active group of gyro pilots at our field. Also my old school buddy Mike Goodrich who is a retired aeronautical engineer is very active in research to balance more effectively rotors and props on gyros. He owns a Magni and lives in Normandy and was here in RSA helping out free of charge a number of gyro guys.

I've taken 6'4" and 260 lbs in my Ximango. It was a little tight, particularly when shifting the prop, but it was completely doable. The Ximango has adjustable rudder pedals that extend over a pretty wide range. Couple that with thinner cushions and you'd probably have plenty of room.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom

I added a glider certification as a 60th birthday present to myself a couple of years ago, an enjoyed the pure glider experience a lot.

However last September my wife and I bought a hangar home on an airpark in northeastern Tennessee.

We are only about 8 miles from the western slopes of the Smokies but about three hours’ drive from a glider port, so we started looking at the self - launch sailplanes and touring motor gliders.

The self launch craft did not look like they would fit well in the airpark where taxing is still required and ground crew is limited, so we decided on a touring motor glider.

We started looking for versatility and what we would be able to accomplish, the Glass ships seem to be the way to go and when comparing them I decided that the Grob 109 would best suit our needs.

It does not have the speed restrictions of the Lamdada, and has a better useful load than the Ximango or Tafiun, and has resonable performance, also it has a standard airworthiness, and they seem to be available for less than $50,000.

I searched thru the FAA data base and found one was based nearby, the owner was kind enough to invite me over to see his Grob and offered to take me flying, one flight and I was sold.

Although I am smaller than you, the adjustment of the rudder pedals and the ability to add or remove cushions seem to make them very versatile and I do not think you would have a problem.

I would check both the ‘Soaring Society of America’ and the ‘Wings and Wheels’ classifieds, the ‘Wings and Wheels’ site seems to have more listings.

Good luck with your search and future purchase, hopefully next week my 109 will arrive from Canada and I can quickly complete the registration process and begin the checkout.

bob

• 1 month later...

Hello to all. Just found this group. I'm based in Astoria, OR. Haven't flown gliders since college. Have 500hrs as Private SEL. Flown Cessna, Citabria, Pitts, Piper. I'm now thinking that a TMG is the best way to go. The first ships that have attracted my attention are the Pipestrel Sinus Flex and the Phoenix. I will now add the Grob 109 to my research list. Any advice will always be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, I am a Pipistrel dealer - but I also owned the first Phoenix in the US. Both are outstanding values. Wait time is a bit long for the Phoenix, but Jim Lee delivers a fantastic performer - with great visibility for sharing thermals with other gliders. The high winged Sinus Flex gives better visibility down and better protection from the sun. Both are fast, efficient, and high quality composite aircraft. rand

Hi Michael,

Yes, I am a Pipistrel dealer - but I also owned the first Phoenix in the US. Both are outstanding values. Wait time is a bit long for the Phoenix, but Jim Lee delivers a fantastic performer - with great visibility for sharing thermals with other gliders. The high winged Sinus Flex gives better visibility down and better protection from the sun. Both are fast, efficient, and high quality composite aircraft. rand

Thank you, Sir.

ML

Hope the following helps:

i owned a grob109b for 22 years and found that it was a reasonable glider (l/d 26) and cross country machine.

well made and trouble free. I sold it in 2007 because factory shut down and thought parts might be a problem. Also wanted better performing glider.Flew the 109a model with 80 hp engine- the one you noticed. A very different plane. I found it to be grossly underpowered and unlike the b model wings did not fold.

I will be receiving my Phoenix in 4 months and believe it to be superior to the Grob in a

number of ways.

George Feldman

Hope the following helps:

i owned a grob109b for 22 years and found that it was a reasonable glider (l/d 26) and cross country machine.

well made and trouble free. I sold it in 2007 because factory shut down and thought parts might be a problem. Also wanted better performing glider.Flew the 109a model with 80 hp engine- the one you noticed. A very different plane. I found it to be grossly underpowered and unlike the b model wings did not fold.

I will be receiving my Phoenix in 4 months and believe it to be superior to the Grob in a

number of ways.

George Feldman

Thanks. Very much appreciate your input.

Michael