Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Side-By-Side List

Ksandell

I'm interested in getting into motor gliders, but am specifically interested in side-by-side. I couldn't find a consolidated list of models through the forum search. 

Any help, consolidated list of side-by-side motor gliders? 

Thanks! 

Search Elfin 20.ex for the latest (soon to be flying) hybrid electric touring motor glider from Germany.   50:1 side-by-side Electric self-launch with hybrid option for long range touring.

• Thanks 1

Another way to get educated is to go to the next gathering, when there are usually 4-5 types of touring motor-gliders on site with owners who will talk to you endlessly about them.  Not certain when the next one will be, but it's a good place to see them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ksandell said:

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm leaning towards the Pipistrel Tauras with the Rotax. 

Nifty ship, but not a touring motorglider. That is, the engine is used for self-launch, then stopped and stowed for soaring. It's not something that one can routinely use for trips. Every aircraft is a compromise with the Taurus leaning more towards sailplane than airplane. Nothing wrong with that as long as it aligns with your expectations.

Now, it should be noted that self-launch sailplanes have a history of bad accidents caused by poor L/D with the pylon extended, and 2) poor engine system reliability. Too often pilots get low while soaring, extend the pylon and get lower faster, followed by the engine failing to start. Caution advised.