Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Coolant Reservoir Cap

algee1_73@yahoo.com

Hope this finds all well.

The larger gasket on coolant reservoir cap (not the overflow tank) gave out recently during an engine run.  Rotax only shows new cap assemblies.  Has anyone just replaced the gasket itself?  If so, where did you find one?  One auto parts place I stopped at suggested I use a stock radiator cap they had which looked, to them, to be the same item.  It's not high pressure - I believe 1.2 or 1.4 BAR, less than 20 psi.

Also, any hints at how to get the lower coolant hose off the radiator?  Mine is on solidly and is difficult to get a grip on.  I can cut it off, but would rather not.  Don't want to risk scratching the metal pipe if it's going to take a new seal under pressure.  Perhaps I'm just being too cautious.

Be well all,

Alan

Rotax 912 Cap.jpg

• Registered

I've never had a gasket look that bad on any car or aircraft I've owned! I suggest you order a new cap (0.9 Bar) from California Power Systems or Lockwood: if the gaskets gone bad, maybe other things aren't quite right. At $80 it's horribly expensive, but maybe there is a good reason for that. Also, it may not be possible to put in a new gasket without major effort.

• Like 1