Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Challenger 11 Long Wing as a TMG?

Steve Sliwa

New user asked this question during his registration process so I am posting for him:

i do have one question, or two. is there any point in buying an inexpensive Challenger 11 Long Wing that I can certify as a motor glider? I am a member of a glider club and can soar on weekends but I need a touring motor glider because of my failed medical and cross country requirements. . I have a FAA SMEL with over a 1000 hours PIC and silver badge in gliding with nearly 200 tows. i really need a relatively inexpensive aircraft with close to 100 mph speed for touring. not so much for soaring, however. your support and help on this is appreciated. capt jim

New user asked this question during his registration process so I am posting for him:

i do have one question, or two. is there any point in buying an inexpensive Challenger 11 Long Wing that I can certify as a motor glider? I am a member of a glider club and can soar on weekends but I need a touring motor glider because of my failed medical and cross country requirements. . I have a FAA SMEL with over a 1000 hours PIC and silver badge in gliding with nearly 200 tows. i really need a relatively inexpensive aircraft with close to 100 mph speed for touring. not so much for soaring, however. your support and help on this is appreciated. capt jim

He will need a glider pilot license so he can fly experimental, std or LSA Gliders.

A Moni is at the low end of the price scale at under $10k, then there are a number in the under $40k range that is low priced in the bigger picture.

In the 20-40k range you have the Grob 109, Xenos, Fournier, Ogar motor glider types that can do around 100 mph.

Some longwing Challengers have been registered as gliders.

He will need a glider pilot license so he can fly experimental, std or LSA Gliders.

A Moni is at the low end of the price scale at under $10k, then there are a number in the under $40k range that is low priced in the bigger picture.

In the 20-40k range you have the Grob 109, Xenos, Fournier, Ogar motor glider types that can do around 100 mph.

Some longwing Challengers have been registered as gliders.

Seems to me that an Ultralight avoids all of the medical rules.

If you 'fail' a medical you can no longer fly LSA. But you my fly a touring motor glider (and gliders) as long as you self-certify that you have no known medical defects that prevent you from safely piloting a glider. While the self-certification may be sufficient for the FAA it might not relieve you from issues with insurance and/or legal liabilities. When my dad lost his medical he ultimately got a note from his doctor saying he was safe to drive and fly after he completed some remedial treatments. He hoped that would be helpful for his estate in the event of an issue.

I think there a wide range of TMGs that could be helpful to you, but you need to define 'relatively inexpensive' as options probably range from $20K to $300K.

Seems to me that an Ultralight avoids all of the medical rules.

If you 'fail' a medical you can no longer fly LSA. But you my fly a touring motor glider (and gliders) as long as you self-certify that you have no known medical defects that prevent you from safely piloting a glider. While the self-certification may be sufficient for the FAA it might not relieve you from issues with insurance and/or legal liabilities. When my dad lost his medical he ultimately got a note from his doctor saying he was safe to drive and fly after he completed some remedial treatments. He hoped that would be helpful for his estate in the event of an issue.

I think there a wide range of TMGs that could be helpful to you, but you need to define 'relatively inexpensive' as options probably range from $20K to $300K.

• 3 weeks later...

Under $50,000. Any LSA or experimental that can be certified as a motor glider . Looking more for cross country capability than soaring . thank you

Under $50,000. Any LSA or experimental that can be certified as a motor glider . Looking more for cross country capability than soaring . thank you