Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Dynon skyview question

btrjillo

Hi again Phoenix people,

my dynon display intermittently displays ‘SYS EVENT 5’.  Dynon manual says this means the SSD card is experiencing an abnormal number of errors and should be replaced. 
Now lately, it sometimes does not boot up on the first application of electrical power, and then needs to be recycled once or twice.

my big question is:  can I limp along like this until it is convenient to send it for repair, or am I risking damaging it?

The good news is the manual says dynon will replace the SSD as a warranty repair, regardless if the unit is still under warranty.

Thanks,

Bryan

N70JZ 

35B8230D-8C19-4EE2-BE2B-2DA3EC4D3EDF.jpeg

• Registered

I doubt it would harm the unit, but I'd just be guessing, so call Dynon and ask. Right now, you are risking the SSD failing enough that the system doesn't work. Maybe you can schedule the repair with Dynon, and ship it by a fast delivery service, then returned the same way. Priority mail is usually 2-3 days, prices not too steep.

Thanks Eric and Jim,

indeed dynon sez I won’t permanently damage it if I wait until I send it at a more convenient time.   They did confirm that replacing the SSD card is on the house, regardless of warranty status.

He did suggest insuring it for 2k.

cheers, Bryan 

• 3 months later...

A follow up:

I received my skyview back and the ‘SYS Event 5’ annunciation had ceased, but the unit still had to be powered up sometimes half a dozen times before it would finally boot up.   I waited until I was going to be out of town for a while, sent it back to dynon, and now it seems to work properly, booting on  the first attempt.  I wish they could have fixed both items the first time I sent it in, but they they fixed it for no charge, despite the unit was delivered with the ship to the original owner the beginning of 2015, and they really wanted to solve the problem.  I really appreciate great customer service.  

Bryan

29/U15 

N70JZ

FE1A575A-5E91-4B8B-AECC-AA1482D5BD55.jpeg