Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

2013 Fifth Annual West Coast Motor Glider Fly-In - Planning Information & Activities

Steve Sliwa

Hi Steve

The final agenda has yet to be worked out. We have some excellent speakers and I will be at the ready to discuss the website as well.

I think one of the highlights will be our effort to get a flight of perhaps 20 TMGs to jointly fly over the golden gate bridge and take the tour of San Francisco on the way to Half Moon Bay for lunch. What a site that will be! We are keeping our fingers crossed for good weather.

Steve Sliwa

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sliwa

• Richard Pearl

• Thermalseeker

• chasers03

It may take a lot more than 3 days to get there for far-flung easterners. The date for the event has been moved so deep into the summer (and monsoon season) it makes it pretty difficult for those of us east of the Mississippi to attend, particularly if your schedule has time constraints.

It may take a lot more than 3 days to get there for far-flung easterners. The date for the event has been moved so deep into the summer (and monsoon season) it makes it pretty difficult for those of us east of the Mississippi to attend, particularly if your schedule has time constraints.

Thanks for the input.

This year's schedule was an attempt to let people who might be flying from the East or visiting from abroad to hit AirVenture at Oshkosh on the way back. Since Oshkosh is where nearly 10% of the country's airplanes congregate we thought it might be a good to adjoin on the schedule.

We will keep adjusting to maximize participation.

Thanks for the input.

This year's schedule was an attempt to let people who might be flying from the East or visiting from abroad to hit AirVenture at Oshkosh on the way back. Since Oshkosh is where nearly 10% of the country's airplanes congregate we thought it might be a good to adjoin on the schedule.

We will keep adjusting to maximize participation.

I have reluctantly finally made up my mind not to attend this year. I think the crowning input was Thermalseeker reminding me of the monsoon season which I battled a little during last years return thru Sedona (1 wk) and Payson 4 days. These monsoons get very prevalent in the back yards of my friends in NV and AZ come late July and August. To make the long trip worthwhile, I not only fly out for the Minden experience (1 week), the Parowan experience (4 days) but add on another 1.5 weeks visiting friends along the way (3 weeks plus total). Monsoon weather can ruin a trip even though I love the challenge.

Sooooo I again go on record recommending the following.

**Please query the members with specific dates before you set future years event dates. After flying out to Minden I have little energy to hit Oshkosh on the way back again crossing the US in a 100 mph motor glider.

**Establish and publish a detailed agenda (currently its partly a secret) to bait us with and stick to it. The fluff of boat rides, San Francisco adventure, awards & unique dinners, etc. are nice but not the meat and potatoes which I come for.

**Include Parowan as it was a good adjunct to our past events and was easy to stop at on the way from SC. Nice soaring there too.

**Include some relatively easy soaring tasks which we can compete in while at Minden.

I know it is not easy for you local volunteers to put this big event all together and to please everyone. I really do appreciate your efforts and am sorry that I am not coming. Carrell and I will miss you guys and the camaraderie.

Now if I can just better navigate and make this website [which Steve has spent many hours creating] work for me, maybe I can feel a part of the group even though I am not at Minden. I am glad that the Phoenix guys have joined as they are better communicators then all the rest of us. Now we need to get the Pipistrel folks to come over from their Yahoo location. They too are not a quiet bunch.

All the best from Steve Chase, Lambada 24PV, coming up on 1500 hrs and purring like a kitten.

I have reluctantly finally made up my mind not to attend this year. I think the crowning input was Thermalseeker reminding me of the monsoon season which I battled a little during last years return thru Sedona (1 wk) and Payson 4 days. These monsoons get very prevalent in the back yards of my friends in NV and AZ come late July and August. To make the long trip worthwhile, I not only fly out for the Minden experience (1 week), the Parowan experience (4 days) but add on another 1.5 weeks visiting friends along the way (3 weeks plus total). Monsoon weather can ruin a trip even though I love the challenge.

Sooooo I again go on record recommending the following.

**Please query the members with specific dates before you set future years event dates. After flying out to Minden I have little energy to hit Oshkosh on the way back again crossing the US in a 100 mph motor glider.

**Establish and publish a detailed agenda (currently its partly a secret) to bait us with and stick to it. The fluff of boat rides, San Francisco adventure, awards & unique dinners, etc. are nice but not the meat and potatoes which I come for.

**Include Parowan as it was a good adjunct to our past events and was easy to stop at on the way from SC. Nice soaring there too.

**Include some relatively easy soaring tasks which we can compete in while at Minden.

I know it is not easy for you local volunteers to put this big event all together and to please everyone. I really do appreciate your efforts and am sorry that I am not coming. Carrell and I will miss you guys and the camaraderie.

Now if I can just better navigate and make this website [which Steve has spent many hours creating] work for me, maybe I can feel a part of the group even though I am not at Minden. I am glad that the Phoenix guys have joined as they are better communicators then all the rest of us. Now we need to get the Pipistrel folks to come over from their Yahoo location. They too are not a quiet bunch.

All the best from Steve Chase, Lambada 24PV, coming up on 1500 hrs and purring like a kitten.

Spot on, Steve! I've made many trips VFR across the country, winter, summer, spring and fall. It's never easy going VFR those kind of distances, no matter what time of year, but late summer for the southwest is probably worst. As the old saying goes "Time to spare, go by air". I knew when I saw the dates for this year's TMG fly-in at Minden it would be unlikely I'd make it, simply because of the weather I've encountered in that part of the country at that time of year on previous trips.

Still looking forward to the eastern TMG rendezvous, assuming it is still on for September somewhere.....

Spot on, Steve! I've made many trips VFR across the country, winter, summer, spring and fall. It's never easy going VFR those kind of distances, no matter what time of year, but late summer for the southwest is probably worst. As the old saying goes "Time to spare, go by air". I knew when I saw the dates for this year's TMG fly-in at Minden it would be unlikely I'd make it, simply because of the weather I've encountered in that part of the country at that time of year on previous trips.

Still looking forward to the eastern TMG rendezvous, assuming it is still on for September somewhere.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Concerning the dates of the TMGA Minden Event, one pilots situation.

As a long time attendee at Oshkosh, with volunteer commitments, my arrival there occurs a few days before the convention starts. Usually the Thursday or Friday before depending on weather. Early arrival is chosen by many. I was disappointed to see that attending Minden, this year, was not going to work out for me. I realize there are several factors you need to take into consideration when selecting a date and no date works for everyone. For me personally, moving the date one weekend earlier would work best. I could attend TMGA Minden and then use the following week to do some west coast flying before making the 1400nm trip to Oshkosh. With weather always a consideration it is very possible the trip could take a few days. With Minden ending on the Sunday before the Oshkosh Start on Monday, weather delays become a factor in how much of Airventure one could hope to attend.

I took delivery of my Phoenix in Melbourne on May 1st of this year and after a thorough check out with Jim Lee, flew it to Aguila AZ, about 100 nm east of the CA border. Normally a two day trip in the long legged Phoenix, it took five because of weather, just say'n.

Thanks for all your hard work on behalf of the TMGA.

Regards,

Don Boardman

Rome, NY

Phoenix N6622R

Hi Richard,

Concerning the dates of the TMGA Minden Event, one pilots situation.

As a long time attendee at Oshkosh, with volunteer commitments, my arrival there occurs a few days before the convention starts. Usually the Thursday or Friday before depending on weather. Early arrival is chosen by many. I was disappointed to see that attending Minden, this year, was not going to work out for me. I realize there are several factors you need to take into consideration when selecting a date and no date works for everyone. For me personally, moving the date one weekend earlier would work best. I could attend TMGA Minden and then use the following week to do some west coast flying before making the 1400nm trip to Oshkosh. With weather always a consideration it is very possible the trip could take a few days. With Minden ending on the Sunday before the Oshkosh Start on Monday, weather delays become a factor in how much of Airventure one could hope to attend.

I took delivery of my Phoenix in Melbourne on May 1st of this year and after a thorough check out with Jim Lee, flew it to Aguila AZ, about 100 nm east of the CA border. Normally a two day trip in the long legged Phoenix, it took five because of weather, just say'n.

Thanks for all your hard work on behalf of the TMGA.

Regards,

Don Boardman

Rome, NY

Phoenix N6622R

Steve

Thanks for your comments, and we look forward to linking up again some time in the future. Trying to optimize the event time-placement is hard. There is, of course, the weather, especially for those coming from long distances. Then there's the other events - which range from general aviation (Oshkosh and Arlington), to gliders (Auxiliary powered Sailplane Association). We'll continue to work on the timing, and everyone's input would be helpful.

I would appreciate your thoughts on potential "meat and potato's" discussions. The issue, again, is that we have a very diverse group: beginners to highly experienced; flat-lander flyers to high-time mountain pilots; pilots who are comfortable crossing large chunks of territory vs pilots who have limited X-C skills; pilots new to the TMG world vs. the old-timers; people who want TMG intel vs those whose primary interest is flying. Couple all that with a relatively short event time frame and it becomes a complex matrix.

Everyone's thoughts would be appreciated for future planning. Comments would also be helpful for those thinking about an East coast event.

Best regards, and keep on flying.

Richard

Steve

Thanks for your comments, and we look forward to linking up again some time in the future. Trying to optimize the event time-placement is hard. There is, of course, the weather, especially for those coming from long distances. Then there's the other events - which range from general aviation (Oshkosh and Arlington), to gliders (Auxiliary powered Sailplane Association). We'll continue to work on the timing, and everyone's input would be helpful.

I would appreciate your thoughts on potential "meat and potato's" discussions. The issue, again, is that we have a very diverse group: beginners to highly experienced; flat-lander flyers to high-time mountain pilots; pilots who are comfortable crossing large chunks of territory vs pilots who have limited X-C skills; pilots new to the TMG world vs. the old-timers; people who want TMG intel vs those whose primary interest is flying. Couple all that with a relatively short event time frame and it becomes a complex matrix.

Everyone's thoughts would be appreciated for future planning. Comments would also be helpful for those thinking about an East coast event.

Best regards, and keep on flying.

Richard

The proposed eastern TMG gathering seems to be losing steam again. I haven't seen a location posted yet. We're a little more than 2 months out from the proposed date.

Edited by Thermalseeker

The proposed eastern TMG gathering seems to be losing steam again. I haven't seen a location posted yet. We're a little more than 2 months out from the proposed date.

Edited by Thermalseeker

TMGA 2013 Annual Fly-In Update:

We’re now one month away from the event. If you haven’t signed up there still time (go to the Event’s Tab in the website > 2013 Minden Fly-In). As published, the event will start Thursday, July 25 and conclude Sunday July 28.

Arrival Information - Minden can be a challenging airport, with many different types of aircraft movements (GA, corporate jets, gliders, helicopters). Check the airport directory for details. Once landed, please come to the SoaringNV office located facing the main runway (1138 Airport Road). We’ll be using their new, air-conditioned facility for meetings. Contact SoaringNV with any questions: 1.775.782.9595.

You will probably be met during your taxi by the friendly airport staff. We’re trying to get all our aircraft in one general location. Be sure to bring your own tie down rope/chains – just in case.

The scheduled agenda is:

Wednesday (optional) fly-in arrival. Local flying. Talk to the SoaringNV staff for some ideas if you’re not familiar with the area. Dinner on your own. There’s a restaurant at the Airport (Tail Dragger), one on the entry road (Flight), and many in Minden and Gardnerville.

Thursday – fly-in.

We’ll have coffee and donuts/fruit available for arriving pilots. Depending on who arrives when, we can set out some tasks, or just fun fly. Dinner – Options: (a) Lake Tahoe diner cruise - Delta Queen. $68/pp. Initial reservations closed but possible late additions. Contact Richard Pearl at: pennyrich@aol.com; we will leave for the Delta Queen about 5 PM; (B) Tail Dragger or Flight, or other restaurant on your own.

Friday –

8:30 Coffee at SoaringNV

9:00 Welcoming (R. Pearl (TMGA), Laurie Harden (SoaringNV), Bobbi Thompson (Minden Airport).

9:10 Airport Operations (basic orientation) – Thompson/Harden

9:30 Weather Briefing – SoaringNV

9:45 Local soaring orientation – SoaringNV

10:15 Break

10:30 Bishop flight discussion

11:00 – 4:00 Bishop flight

7:00 Dinner - Carson Valley Country Club - Basque Restaurant. ($32/pp). Bring cash (ATM available on field) so we can pay the dinner tab on one consolidated bill

Saturday –

9:00 Group introductions

9:45 San Francisco Bay tour briefing

10:30 San Francisco departure – lunch at Half Moon Bay

6:00 Presentation – Gerhard Deffner (see below)

7:00 Dinner – Tail Dragger (on Airport grounds) - ($28/pp) Bring cash (ATM available on field) so we can pay the dinner tab on one consolidated bill

Sunday –

9:00 Grand Re-telling of HAF and Bishop flights

9:45 Presentation of future of “East Side of MEVâ€

10:00 Photo op/group picture

10:45 Fly-In conclusion

Special Notes:

1. Registration fee is $20 per aircraft (including one pilot); $10 per additional pilot/participant. All fees to cover hard costs associated with the Fly-In.

2. Gerhard Deffner presentation: Long distance flying (in a S10VT motor glider). Required preparation in the making of flights normally considered high risk. Gerhard will talk about a flight from Berlin to Reykjavik to Berlin – a) transitioning large bodies of water, and B) sightseeing over rough terrain.

Gerhard will illustrate how a route can safely be flown that pilots of small aircraft normally shy away from. The second part of Gerhard’s talk will focus on the question of how maintenance can be performed correctly, and in full compliance with regulatory requirements - on a gravel field at the foot of the Vatnajökull glacier.

3. Aerial photo opportunity with Andy Robinson. Just picture your TMG set against the Lake Tahoe backdrop. This requires an early launch. Contact Andy at: andy@bidandy.com. Cost is approximately $100, depending on the number of participants.

3. When you arrive you will be given a Welcoming packet, including the Airport tie down form ($8/day).

4. If you are interested in a BFR, or specialized training, i.e. thermaling in gliders (your ship or a pure sailplane), contact SoaringNV directly. Optimally this would be done before Friday so we can all enjoy the group fly-outs.

Post any questions and we'll get right back to you via this Forum

We’re now one month away from the event. If you haven’t signed up there still time (go to the Event’s Tab in the website > 2013 Minden Fly-In). As published, the event will start Thursday, July 25 and conclude Sunday July 28.

Arrival Information - Minden can be a challenging airport, with many different types of aircraft movements (GA, corporate jets, gliders, helicopters). Check the airport directory for details. Once landed, please come to the SoaringNV office located facing the main runway (1138 Airport Road). We’ll be using their new, air-conditioned facility for meetings. Contact SoaringNV with any questions: 1.775.782.9595.

You will probably be met during your taxi by the friendly airport staff. We’re trying to get all our aircraft in one general location. Be sure to bring your own tie down rope/chains – just in case.

The scheduled agenda is:

Wednesday (optional) fly-in arrival. Local flying. Talk to the SoaringNV staff for some ideas if you’re not familiar with the area. Dinner on your own. There’s a restaurant at the Airport (Tail Dragger), one on the entry road (Flight), and many in Minden and Gardnerville.

Thursday – fly-in.

We’ll have coffee and donuts/fruit available for arriving pilots. Depending on who arrives when, we can set out some tasks, or just fun fly. Dinner – Options: (a) Lake Tahoe diner cruise - Delta Queen. $68/pp. Initial reservations closed but possible late additions. Contact Richard Pearl at: pennyrich@aol.com; we will leave for the Delta Queen about 5 PM; (B) Tail Dragger or Flight, or other restaurant on your own.

Friday –

9:00 Welcoming (R. Pearl (TMGA), Laurie Harden (SoaringNV), Bobbi Thompson (Minden Airport).

7:00 Dinner - Carson Valley Country Club - Basque Restaurant. ($32/pp). Bring cash (ATM available on field) so we can pay the dinner tab on one consolidated bill

Saturday –

7:00 Dinner – Tail Dragger (on Airport grounds) - ($28/pp) Bring cash (ATM available on field) so we can pay the dinner tab on one consolidated bill

Sunday –

Special Notes:

1. Registration fee is $20 per aircraft (including one pilot); $10 per additional pilot/participant. All fees to cover hard costs associated with the Fly-In.

2. Gerhard Deffner presentation: Long distance flying (in a S10VT motor glider). Required preparation in the making of flights normally considered high risk. Gerhard will talk about a flight from Berlin to Reykjavik to Berlin – a) transitioning large bodies of water, and B) sightseeing over rough terrain.

Gerhard will illustrate how a route can safely be flown that pilots of small aircraft normally shy away from. The second part of Gerhard’s talk will focus on the question of how maintenance can be performed correctly, and in full compliance with regulatory requirements - on a gravel field at the foot of the Vatnajökull glacier.

3. Aerial photo opportunity with Andy Robinson. Just picture your TMG set against the Lake Tahoe backdrop. This requires an early launch. Contact Andy at: andy@bidandy.com. Cost is approximately $100, depending on the number of participants.

3. When you arrive you will be given a Welcoming packet, including the Airport tie down form ($8/day).

4. If you are interested in a BFR, or specialized training, i.e. thermaling in gliders (your ship or a pure sailplane), contact SoaringNV directly. Optimally this would be done before Friday so we can all enjoy the group fly-outs.

Post any questions and we'll get right back to you via this Forum

The scheduled agenda is:

Thursday – fly-in. We’ll have coffee and donuts/fruit available for arriving pilots. Depending on who arrives when, we can set out some tasks, or just fun fly.

Dinner – Options: (a) Lake Tahoe diner cruise - Delta Queen. $68/pp. Initial reservations closed but possible late additions. Contact Richard Pearl at: pennyrich@aol.com; we will leave for the Delta Queen about 5 PM; (B) Tail Dragger or Flight, or other restaurant on your own.

Friday –

Saturday –

Sunday –

Special Notes:

The scheduled agenda is:

Thursday – fly-in. We’ll have coffee and donuts/fruit available for arriving pilots. Depending on who arrives when, we can set out some tasks, or just fun fly.

Dinner – Options: (a) Lake Tahoe diner cruise - Delta Queen. $68/pp. Initial reservations closed but possible late additions. Contact Richard Pearl at: pennyrich@aol.com; we will leave for the Delta Queen about 5 PM; (B) Tail Dragger or Flight, or other restaurant on your own.

Friday –

Saturday –

Sunday –

Special Notes:

• 3 weeks later...

Like JDHoward, I am seeking the best means of participating as a wannabe. I would like the chance to socialize with pilots and see their TMGs but it seems I may have difficulty pinning them down as the activities will be taking pilots elsewhere.

• I could join up at the dinner Saturday evening though when would I see pilots with their planes?
  • Alternatively, I could catch the crowd at Half Moon Bay if the bulk will be going there and if they would stay long enough to interact.
  • Does HAF know you are coming and can they accommodate visitors loitering near the aircraft?

Like JDHoward, I am seeking the best means of participating as a wannabe. I would like the chance to socialize with pilots and see their TMGs but it seems I may have difficulty pinning them down as the activities will be taking pilots elsewhere.

• I could join up at the dinner Saturday evening though when would I see pilots with their planes?
  • Alternatively, I could catch the crowd at Half Moon Bay if the bulk will be going there and if they would stay long enough to interact.
  • Does HAF know you are coming and can they accommodate visitors loitering near the aircraft?

I don't recommend trying to rendezvous at Half Moon Bay. We are only going there if weather permits, else we may go to Redding. Plus, we don't know how many will do the trip.

I suggest Friday afternoon 3PM to 5PM, Saturday morning from 9AM to 11AM, Saturday afternoon 4PM to 6PM and Sunday 9AM to 11AM are the best times to hang on or near the tarmac with pilots.

I don't recommend trying to rendezvous at Half Moon Bay. We are only going there if weather permits, else we may go to Redding. Plus, we don't know how many will do the trip.

I suggest Friday afternoon 3PM to 5PM, Saturday morning from 9AM to 11AM, Saturday afternoon 4PM to 6PM and Sunday 9AM to 11AM are the best times to hang on or near the tarmac with pilots.