Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

TMG in Mexico

JAG

Ive been traveling back in forth from Southern California to Baja, Mexico for a couple of years but the rules have changed. I fly a Europa short wing glider certified and therefore do not have a current medical. As of 2012 all aircraft with a propeller requires a medical Mexico.... Sorry for all the LSA and TMG pilots but you must have a current medical for flights in Mexico now...

I've confirmed this not only with DGAC of Mexico City but with the commadante of San Felipe (AOE) and he told me a local ultralight pilot was required to obtain a medical! Times are changing in Mexico and not all for the better....once this new year gets going I plan a trip to Mexico City to see if any of this could be changed. The DGAC seem open to listening and possibility of change....will see, but for now medically are required to land in Mexico.

saludos,

Ive been traveling back in forth from Southern California to Baja, Mexico for a couple of years but the rules have changed. I fly a Europa short wing glider certified and therefore do not have a current medical. As of 2012 all aircraft with a propeller requires a medical Mexico.... Sorry for all the LSA and TMG pilots but you must have a current medical for flights in Mexico now...

I've confirmed this not only with DGAC of Mexico City but with the commadante of San Felipe (AOE) and he told me a local ultralight pilot was required to obtain a medical! Times are changing in Mexico and not all for the better....once this new year gets going I plan a trip to Mexico City to see if any of this could be changed. The DGAC seem open to listening and possibility of change....will see, but for now medically are required to land in Mexico.

saludos,

I'm curious how were you able to get the FAA to register a short wing Europa as a powered sailplane? A short wing Europa doesn't begin to fit the powered sailplane formula. The glider wing version barely makes it. Europa had to add tip extensions to the glider wing to get the long wing version to qualify. What did you do? Find a friendly DAR with bad math skills?

I'm curious how were you able to get the FAA to register a short wing Europa as a powered sailplane? A short wing Europa doesn't begin to fit the powered sailplane formula. The glider wing version barely makes it. Europa had to add tip extensions to the glider wing to get the long wing version to qualify. What did you do? Find a friendly DAR with bad math skills?

• 10 years later...

All the posts on this thread are over 10 years old. Can anyone update me on the status of flying a motorglider in Mexico in 2023? Is a PP-Glider accepted without a medical now?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...