Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Service Bulletins

Jim Lee

More reporting from the google group, posted here in an effort to keep all information in one place.  Apologies in advance to everyone.

Barry Hendy had a problem where he exceeded Vne (not by a little like he tries to say- I have the data logs), broke his plane, and ordered a replacement fuselage.  He could have had it repaired for far less, but hey, the insurance company is paying so what do I care if everyone else’s rates go up because of me.  We had multiple emails and phone calls where I tried to show him the error of his ways, but he prefers to blame the plane, and the factory, not his inept piloting skills.  I understand that reaction but when it starts to manifest into a blame game online, then I must respond. Barry can be considered hostile to the Phoenix in any of his posts here.  Beware.

Barry:  “Eric said " A few years ago, there was a bulletin..."   Where are the service bulletins and safety directives for the Phoenix kept?”

There are no safety directives.  I have the SB’s and Pure Flight has them.  All you have to do is ask.

“I am not aware of any formal Bulletins and have never seen a register.”

There are only two, and neither one is a big safety issue.  One is no ethanol fuel and the other is for rusty nuts on a wing panel.  Both SB’s attached below.

“Here we (appear to) have a case where a serious safety item has been missed by at least two owners because there is no central registry of safety bulletins - or even owners.”

Serious safety item?  Reminds me of a Jonker JS3 pilot who started shouting “serious safety problem!” online, when he didn’t know what he was talking about.  As to the no ethanol fuel, it is covered in the AOI as well.  I understand that knowledge gets lost and forgotten.  But do a little due diligence, and you are bound to get the information you need.  Under TMGA posts, search for Decalin additive, Fuels, and Mogas Availability.  That took me about 1 minute to research.  Thanks again Steve Sliwa!

This does give me a chuckle when I think of the owner who called me up and asked a simple question.  I asked him, “did you read the manual?” and he said, “no, it’s easier to just call you”.  

” I thought standard protocol in aviation was to check the registry each annual and confirm all actions are up to date - but we can't do that. (or am I missing something?)”

Yes you are missing something but I won't go into that.  Yes, it is a requirement to check for SB’s, and I have had many A&Ps calling me asking about SBs.  In every case I send them the SBs.  All you have to do is ask.

Barry: “I know (believe) this did not happen under Martin's leadership, but I think we are overdue for the new owners to step up in this area and start showing ownership of the safety and airworthiness of our aircraft operating under their certificate of airworthiness”.

Barry, you have no idea how well the new owners are stepping up to the plate.  You are just a disgruntled owner due to your own negligence.

Barry goes on:  “The FAA regulations say:

Aeroprakt, for example, call for all owners to register with them and publish all their bulletins on their website: https://aeroprakt.eu/index.php/i-am-a22-owner-or-operator/safety-publications/a-22-a-22l-a-22l2

I believe there should be a similar system for the Phoenix, for our safety and for the market value of our aircraft. Is it just me that thinks this is a serious issue? Or have I missed the point of LSA?”

Really?  Decreasing the market value of the aircraft?  What the hell do you think you are doing with your baseless claims due to inaccurate and uninformed accusations? 

Barry, you will find in the Maintenance Manual, under 1.13 the Owner’s Operational Difficulty Report Form.  Did I or Phoenix Air or Pure Flight receive one of these reports from you?  It is the owner's responsibility to file reports, notify manufacturers of aircraft ownership changes, and stay informed.  Phoenix owners who are responsible and don't have a bone to pick take the initiative and follow up on maintenance items with me or Ed Babovec or Pure Flight.

I have always been appreciative of the conscientious and safety minded owners.  No one has been even slightly injured, much less killed, in a Phoenix and I thank all of you and this great aircraft for that.

SB 02 No Ethanol bulletin signed.pdf SB 01 Tank access plate nut corrosion signed.pdf