Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

ADS-B is amazing // Skyview 6.0 is out

edwalker

For those of you who have not yet seen the new ADS-B technology, it is simply amazing. It's like having a second set of eyes in the cockpit, and it's particularly useful when you're heading cross country under power in congested areas. It's even more impressive with Skyview (which, by the way, has a major update available) since the audio traffic alerts get your attention even when you're not looking at the map screen, and it waits until the traffic is an actual threat (<1000 ft vertical and predicted to be within 1/4 mile in the next 30 sec) . Yesterday I was flying near the area in WA state where a truck took out a bridge on I-5 and there were numerous "weekend warriors" out in their Bonanzas taking pictures. It was SCT030 BKN070 and I was in between layers. It is sobering to get alerts for so many targets you never see, (ie. things coming up on the ADS-B display that you cannot find), even when you know where to look. I also found 2 aircraft near KAWO, where I base, which remained invisible, likely due to no operating transponder. Best avionics add-on I have ever purchased.

• Registered

How do you like the ADS-B weather? Has it made flying over the Cascades any easier or safer?

The addition of ADS-B services in Eastern Washington at Yakima, Spokane, and Pasco has been in the NOTAMS since Dec 4, 2012, so I assume the Columbia Basin has nearly complete coverage. Eastern Oregon and sourthern Idaho look a bit thin now.