Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

TMGs in Massachusetts

JFonseca

Hi,

Do you know any club in Massachusetts with a TMG to be rented by members? I am asking because I might need to relocate to Boston in the near future and would like to know my chances for renting one. I was/am looking into buying an used Super Dimona or a new Phoenix U15, but this potential move to the US is making things more complicated.

Does anyone have an idea of costs and complexity of importing to US a Germany registered Super Dimona or a French registered Phoenix? And within 5 to 10 years when returning to Europe register again here?

The costs and complexity of this process makes me think that if I find a good place to rent a TMG close to Boston I might simplify my life and just tent it. When I return for good to Europe I can then buy my own TMG.

Joaquim

Joaqim, 

I know of no public clubs that offer motorgliders for rent in that area. 

I own both a Grob 109(a) motorglider and an L33 Solo, which were obvious imported from the EU. The two hurdles you must cross to bring one here are customs (To get it off the boat) and the FAA (to get it registered and legal to fly). There are a few companies that specialize in handling the paperwork. The two forms that I remember from my direct/personal contact with the FAA are a certificate of compliance and a statement that the aircraft is deregistered or has never been registered. This is for aircraft which already have EASA/FAA type acceptance. 

The aircraft you mention both have assigned FAA managers at the Small Aircraft Directorate in St. Louis. They are familiar with the process of bringing aircraft into the US and can probably provide you with more information on the process. 

Good luck and happy flying!

• Like 1

You could partially simplify the process by buying a used Phoenix in the US (there is one currently for sale in Punta Gorda, FL), and then exporting it back to Europe when you move back, of if that turns out to be overly complicated, selling the motorglider in the US when you leave.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:15 AM, mikeschumann said:

You could partially simplify the process by buying a used Phoenix in the US (there is one currently for sale in Punta Gorda, FL), and then exporting it back to Europe when you move back, of if that turns out to be overly complicated, selling the motorglider in the US when you leave.

I am still in Europe, and I don't know when and If I will need to move to Boston, so it would be good to buy now an aircraft that in case I relocate to Boston, it doesn't make my life too difficult.

One option that you should explore if you buy a motorglider in Europe is to register it there, then bring it to the US, but leave it registered in Europe.  You should then be able to fly it using your European pilots license.  When you move back to Europe, you just ship it home.  No re-registration required.  This would be similar to pilots shipping their gliders around the world for competitions.

I'm no expert on these matters, so I don't know if this would work, but it certainly is worth exploring as an option.

• 3 months later...

We're standing up a glider club in Mansfield, MA, just south of Boston. Everything here is self-launching so far, anchored by a Stemme S6. We're too new to have had conversations about renting, but feel free to DM me and we can talk.