Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Molokai Out and Back in the Carat

Kalopa

The weather was spectacular for a little cross county in theCarat. Molokai out and back approx. 250 NM and 4 hours on the Hobbs. Very challenging crosswind at MKK. Photos attached.

post-61-144848146197_thumb.jpg

post-61-14484814621_thumb.jpg

post-61-144848146216_thumb.jpg

post-61-144848146222_thumb.jpg

post-61-144848146228_thumb.jpg

The weather was spectacular for a little cross county in theCarat. Molokai out and back approx. 250 NM and 4 hours on the Hobbs. Very challenging crosswind at MKK. Photos attached.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2013‎ ‎7‎:‎29‎:‎51‎, Eric Greenwell said:

Were you able to stay within gliding distance of an airport as you flew between the islands?

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2013‎ ‎7‎:‎29‎:‎51‎, Eric Greenwell said:

Were you able to stay within gliding distance of an airport as you flew between the islands?

Eric,

Sorry I never responded to you question earlier.  No It is not possible to fly between island and stay within gliding distance of an airport.  I do always use VFR flight following with Honolulu Center so if there is a problem I am already squawking a discrete code and talking to them so they know exactly where I am.  Since I learned to fly in Hawaii back in 1977 I have made numerous inter-island flights in a variety of single engine airplanes so an inter-island flight in the Carat did not seem to be something out of the ordinary.  Since I purchased my Carat in 2010 I have been impressed with it's dependability and lack of problems and I do often fly it as I would any other single engine airplane.

Joe L.

On my honeymoon I rented a Cessna C-172 and flew from Oahu to Molokai to Maui and back.  My bride loved it and she became a pilot flying in several Air Race Classics and Great Southern Air Races.  So I have fond memories of that route myself.