Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Mogas Availability at Airports

Charles Smith

I am an aspiring Phoenix owner but in reviewing the fuel requirements for the Rotax 912ULS, the manual specifies unleaded 91 octane mogas. My research says that it can be difficult to find mogas at airports, especially in certain regions of the U.S. How do Phoenix owners accommodate this? Thank you . . .

• Registered

I don't have experience with this, because my Phoenix isn't due until the end of the year, but can repeat I've read and what others have told me:

• Mogas is the preferred fuel, but 100LL is also acceptable, according to the Rotax manual. Using it will shorten the time between oil changes and other maintenance, however.
  • With it's 700 NM range, many owners find they can do most their refueling at their home airport, using a few 5 gallon gas cans they take home with them, then fill on the way the next time they go to the airport; some get fuel from another pilot at their airport that has a large tank of mogas on a cart or pickup.
  • Away from home, you will ocasionally find an FBO that is willing to get mogas from town and bring it to you at no more cost (sometimes less!) than 100LL. Contacting them ahead of time might be good idea; possibly, they'd have it waiting for you.

since the Rotax is such common engine, a search of this forum or an LSA airplane forum should find more suggestions. Let us know what you learn.

Thanks so much for the info, Eric . . . its an excellent start. I would prefer the 91 octane mogas (cost and no-lead), I was just a bit surprised that it wasn't widely available. I'll update if I find more info.

Excellent! Thanks so much . . . I had seen the first site, but not the other two. My permanent home is in Massachusetts, one of the areas without any mogas availability at airports (other than a small airfield in Hampton NH). This fuel availability issue wouldn't dampen my interest in the Phoenix, just makes it a bit more complicated. Thanks again . . .

Edited by Charles Smith
Add more info

Charles -

One other small addition. Be sure you are using 91 Octane or higher. The pure-gas and flyunleaded websites don't discriminate, and many of the stations they indicate have 80-90 octane only. I have a gas station half a mile from my house with inexpensive 90 octane that I cannot use. Fortunately, we have 92 on the field. It's a bit more pricey, but we want to support the owner. Also, look into the No-Spill gas cans. They are amazing. Not a drop spills! They have an overflow preventer as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm lucky that there are 4 stations in Melbourne that sell no ethanol unleaded gas. When I travel I use 100LL. It is not a problem to switch back and forth between the fuels. It is important to avoid ethanol gas due to it's corrosive nature. Also, 100LL stores just fine over long periods. Mogas does not. Don't buy a large tank and then use gas out of it for half a year. Only use fresh gas. Phoenix Air is about to come out with a Service Bulletin that says avoid ethanol fuel in the Phoenix.

I am considering purchasing a Phoenix and currently fly the AMS Carat. My friend Dennis Yeomans recently sent his Phoenix wings back to the factory because he used mogas and the wings are wet. Apparaently some component of mogas interacts with the inside of the fuel tank causing material degradation. My understanding from talking to Jim Lee is that mogas is not recommended. You ought to check with him before you use it.

Hi Charles

I have almost 12 years of experience with the Rotax engine - 10 years with a Stemme S10-VT and 2 years with the Phoenix. In all those years I am not aware of any problems using 100LL fuel in my aircraft nor in anyone else's aircraft. 100LL has been around for such a long time that if there were problems surely they would be visible by now. Now MOGAS can have all kinds of additives and I would be very reluctant to use it in an aircraft of mine. AVGAS on the other hand has to meet strict quality standards otherwise think of the potential liabilities? Your Phoenix is going to run just great on 100LL. Guaranteed!

Dave

• Registered
My understanding from talking to Jim Lee is that mogas is not recommended. You ought to check with him before you use it.

I talked to Dennis at length about this, and the problem is the ethanol in the mogas. Mogas without ethanol (aka "E0") is the preferred fuel for the Rotax 912, and the next best fuel is 100LL; unfortunately for Dennis, neither of those fuels is available in Hawaii, so he's been using mogas with ethanol. That is allowed by the factory and by Rotax, but something went wrong in Dennis' case, and affected the wing. That's been repaired at no expense to him, and he is very impressed with the way the factory and the dealer (Jim Lee) handled the situation.

Dennis reports the factory is working hard to determine what happened, and ensure it doesn't happen again. So far, Dennis is the only one so affected. Personally, 90+ octane E0 is available locally, so I won't have any problem when flying in the Pacific NW. Traveling farther from home, I'll do like most of the other owners, and use 100LL. That's readily available at any airport with fuel.

Hmmmm, so the Rotax manual specifies 91 octane or higher mogas, but the wet wings can't accommodate it? That does need to be clarified. Also, good to know about steering clear of ethanol. Could using mogas with ethanol have caused Dennis Yeoman's fuel tank degradation?