Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Fuels

kd6veb

Hi Gang

Most of you by now will have received a copy of the AD on fuels from Jim. We have had discussions on this forum on the use of high (10%) content alcohol fuels. Now we have recently found out that alcohol is a no no for the Phoenix. A pair of wings have been damaged by the used of Mogas containing alcohol. So what's the problem? I don't see a problem. We all have access to 100LL fuel and there is at least 25 years of successful usage of this fuel with the Rotax 912/4 engines. I have had over 15 years experience with Rotax engines initially with the Diamond trainers DA20 and Super Dimona motor glider. Absolutely no engine problems with 100LL. Then 10 years with the Stemme S10-VT with the Rotax 914 and 10 years with the DG800B with the Solo engine. Absolutely no problems with these engine attributable to 100LL problems. Now a couple of years with the Phoenix with no problems with 100LL.

100 LL fuel has been around for years and works well with most aircraft engines giving TBOs in the thousands of hours. So why would you consider using unregulated MOGAS in an aircraft especially one that uses composite fuel tanks? In the extremely rare situation where 100LL and alcohol free MOGAS are not available at a home base then the Phoenix maybe isn't the aircraft of choice but is there actually a place like as described?

Dave

• Registered
Hi Gang

In the extremely rare situation where 100LL and alcohol free MOGAS are not available at a home base then the Phoenix maybe isn't the aircraft of choice but is there actually a place like as described?

Dave

Hawaii. That's where the Dennis Yeomans flies his Phoenix, and it was his wings that developed the problem. All the mogas is E10, and only 130LL is the alternative.

The reason we would consider using Mogas up to E10 is the Rotax manual allows it (as did the Phoenix manual) and states that unleaded gasoline is preferable to leaded, giving longer intervals between maintenance and likely longer life before overhaul. All the Rotax owners I know here, including DG400 pilots, ultralights and similar using the 912 or 914, use E0 Mogas.

It's moot now that the Phonix factory no longer allows ethanol containing fuel, but that still leaves mogas as the preferred fuel by Rotax. Given the long and successful use of E0 mogas in aircraft, I'm still plan to use it when it's available, as it is here where I live.

My 2005 Lambada N24PV, with 912UL 80hp is about to tally 1500 hrs (I fly about 170 hrs per year much of it cross country) and to my knowledge has only been fueled with 100LL. Having operated the Lambada for about 900 of those hrs, doing my own maintenance at about 30 hr intervals (my oil/filter change takes me 35 minutes) and after attending Dean's 2 day Lockwood Rotax maintenance school plus hearing all the stories from the various Rotax mechanics and owners, I am a strong believer in using only 100LL. My auto experience (including an old 64 XKE) further supports the avoidance of gasoline which could have ethanol in it.

I think the real reason pilots seek these alternative fuels is to lessen the cost of fuel and maybe oil change. Considering my total investment and the risk of my flying hobby, I don't want to "nickle dime" this part of flying. So Dave I am thinking like you and will avoid unregulated MOGAS in an aircraft especially one that uses composite fuel tanks? The risk is toooo great. My two cents worth from KCEU in Seneca, SC. Steve Chase

• Registered

"and will avoid unregulated MOGAS"

Why do you think E0 automobile gas is unregulated? My understanding is there are a slew of Federal and State regulations it must meet.