Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Denied 3rd Class Med, can I pursue a Powered Glider certificate?

krider

I have been denied a 3rd Class Medical by the FAA, after flying several years as a student pilot.  Can I obtain a powered glider certificate under AC 61-94, following Syllabus "B"?

There is no such thing as a "Powered Glider Certificate".  To fly a motorglider, you need to have a glider license and then a self launch logbook endorsement by a flight instructor so you can fly motorgliders.  The CFIG needs to follow AC 61-94 to issue the endorsement.

In the US, you do not need to have a medical to fly gliders with a glider license.  Unlike the sport pilot rules, I believe that having been denied a 3rd class medical does not prevent you from flying gliders.  You might want to double check this with AOPA or the SSA to make sure I am reading this correctly.

I would definitely check with the SSA.  Flying gliders is self-certified medical. 

https://flightphysical.com/pilot-medical-certification/exempt-operations

Glider and Free Balloon Pilots are not required to hold a medical certificate of any class. To be issued Glider or Free Balloon Airman Certificates, applicants must certify that they do not know, or have reason to know, of any medical condition that would make them unable to operate a glider or free balloon in a safe manner. This certification is made at the local FAA FSDO (Not through an AME office).

What that really means, you need to be aware of your flying can put you or others in danger including equipment.  We don't need more gliders lost.  So if you are a diabetic or some other issue., I would think long and hard before you think about flying.