Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

New Phoenix Owner

AlanKoz

My Pipistrel Sinus had an electrical fire on the taxiway this year that destroyed all forward of the firewall.  I thus decided to buy a used Phoenix with the insurance money.  Talk about rising from the ashes….Wow, this is a far more fun plane to fly even if you have to work a bit harder to master the landings.  I like the 100 hp engine and the presence of two batteries to ensure engine restart when soaring with the Dynon on.  N645N was brought back from the DC area to the UP of Michigan with the help of David McConeghey and then I did some additional training with Jim Lee.  Both were excellent instructors.   More fun in the skies with this AC that has higher curb appeal.  

Welcome to the Phoenix world.  You have a fairly unique perspective having flown the Virus and now the Phoenix.  Can't help but ask a couple questions. 

Anything to for us to learn from the Sinus electrical fire?

How many used U-15s were on the market when you were doing your search?

Glad to have you in the community.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 6:00 PM, Alex Ress said:

Welcome to the Phoenix world.  You have a fairly unique perspective having flown the Virus and now the Phoenix.  Can't help but ask a couple questions. 

Anything to for us to learn from the Sinus electrical fire?

How many used U-15s were on the market when you were doing your search?

Glad to have you in the community.

The electrical fire may have been due to a faulty voltage regulator.  I had put in a backup battery system for soaring, and bought schematics from Pipistrel.  They were not the best, and my avionics guy and I had to go back and forth for clarification. Anyway, I believe this was the root of the problem.  I was told by XXX that someone else had put in a backup system and their Sinus burned up too.  Maybe the NTSB will eventually come up with an answer, but don't hold your breath.

There was only one Phoenix used that I found advertised and this only had a couple hundred hours of time on it.

Was out today for a short spin, and got a nice two point landing in.  The view from the Phoenix is certainly a whole lot nicer than the high wing Sinus.  I also understand that a former Pipistrel deal sold his Virus and has a Phoenix on order!!