Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Scheibe MotorSpatz SF24B

Motorspatz1

I have a 1962 MotorSpatz SF24B. I bought this project in 2006 and with TMGA now in existence seem to have developed motivation to get started on the rebuild. Kind of excited about it actually. The SF24B started with a Hirth F10 4cyl. 2stroke motor. I bought it with about 400TT Air Frame and a Hirth F22 Motor, time??. I bought the project as parts and believe I have most of them. I have some paperwork including Flight Manual and Log Books. I've done internet research and found some pictures but not much technical data. I have no Service Manuals. I've already decided to change the motor again and am considering a Hirth F23 40HP or Rotax 503 about the same 40HP. The two previous motors were about 24HP. I live on a high altitude airport 6500' and feel I will need the extra HP. I would really be interested in any information or pictures that people may have of the SF24. I understand that about 50 were built. I've posted a few pictures in the Scheibe Forum. I understand that Sheibe was one of the first to develop a MotorGlider and the SF24 may actually be the first of its kind. If anyone would like to chat about any of this feel free to call Me, Jim Dunkelberger @ (707) 529-5858 :)

I have a 1962 MotorSpatz SF24B. I bought this project in 2006 and with TMGA now in existence seem to have developed motivation to get started on the rebuild. Kind of excited about it actually. The SF24B started with a Hirth F10 4cyl. 2stroke motor. I bought it with about 400TT Air Frame and a Hirth F22 Motor, time??. I bought the project as parts and believe I have most of them. I have some paperwork including Flight Manual and Log Books. I've done internet research and found some pictures but not much technical data. I have no Service Manuals. I've already decided to change the motor again and am considering a Hirth F23 40HP or Rotax 503 about the same 40HP. The two previous motors were about 24HP. I live on a high altitude airport 6500' and feel I will need the extra HP. I would really be interested in any information or pictures that people may have of the SF24. I understand that about 50 were built. I've posted a few pictures in the Scheibe Forum. I understand that Sheibe was one of the first to develop a MotorGlider and the SF24 may actually be the first of its kind. If anyone would like to chat about any of this feel free to call Me, Jim Dunkelberger @ (707) 529-5858 :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

How is the Motorspatz project going?

I just happened to be browing the German segelflug.de classifieds and came across an ad by a guy called Patrik Ungar in Budapest, who has also apparently also bought an SF24 project and is looking for various spares. Here is a link to his pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117409771613256998501/albums/6018962551801555809

Just in case it is of interest :-)

Best regards

Peter

Hi Jim,

How is the Motorspatz project going?

I just happened to be browing the German segelflug.de classifieds and came across an ad by a guy called Patrik Ungar in Budapest, who has also apparently also bought an SF24 project and is looking for various spares. Here is a link to his pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117409771613256998501/albums/6018962551801555809

Just in case it is of interest :-)

Best regards

Peter

• 7 months later...

Jim,,

I have a motorspatz which I flew between 1998 and 2002 before selling it and buying a SF28a. I recently bought the Motorspatz back again since it was not being utilised and will put it back into the air again. The Hirth engine is still serviceable but I would be interested in replacing it purely for reasons of age (and spares) If I can get sufficient information to submit for approval. I have flown it in the past with both types of undercarriage and understandably it flies better with the 'glider' single wheel although I believe a steerable tail wheel is essential if operating anywhere other than a glider site.

I could add much more but will wait for acknowledgement. I would also like to hear from any German owner who may have a modified machine and can provide LBA approved Mod. Drawings and information. Meanwhile the Scheibe Aircraft web site gives some basic operators information. I translated the owners and flight manuals into English for theCAA when I originally owned the aircraft and still have copies as well as photos of the last rebuild carried out in Holland.

regards,

David

Edited by fosseflying@aol.com