Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Phoenix Altitude Record?

Jim Lee

The goal was an OLC speed flight, but the northwest wind was not productive for good wave formation, so the goal was scrapped.  Got a nice altitude flight however, making it to 28,200' MSL.  I know Russ Owens has been high in the wave in his Phoenix.  The north bound track was painfully slow, but the southbound direction produced over 170kt groundspeed.

Motored back to Minden at low altitude to stay below the strong headwind.  Arrived home just at sunset.  Got slammed entering the Carson Valley, and the Dynon Lady yelled "G Load G Load G Load".  First time ever to hear that even though I've encountered plenty of horrific turbulence wave flying in the Phoenix.  Keep both feet on the rudder pedals people to prevent rudder flutter, the primary concern for high speed Phoenix flights.

I have an LOA with Edwards Airforce Base to fly above 18K in their airspace.  Temps at 28K were only -5F.  It was warm in the cockpit with bright sunshine and the heater vents plugged with rubber stoppers to keep the cold air out.  Had to open the air vent and window vents on occasion to keep the canopy ice free since I didn't have my double pane clear panels installed for this flight.  Waited until I was below 10K and in above freezing temps to start the engine and motor home.  Mighty Rotax started immediately with no problems.  Gel Coat is fine.  The Phoenix is a special machine.

OLC Flight information - James Lee (US) - 21.09.2023 (onlinecontest.org)

Champion Speed-OLC 2023 - Worldwide (onlinecontest.org)

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG