Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Phoenix Air Czech Republic

Martin Stepanek

Hello dear friends,

on the first prototype was a system of fuel tank ventilation on fuel tank cap, but looks ugly (to me). However it is not a problem to produce modified fuel cap by request.

In the manual is written that fuel tank volume is 50 lit (13,2 gal) each, but in reality is approx. 55 lit (14.5 gal).

So I can imagine that if is really fully filled and not leveled it can leak....

I already maybe mentionned but....

Back flow fuel line (non used fuel) is goinng into left fuel tank, so if both fuel tanks are fully filled by fuel pls. start your flight on left fuel tank.

It will make some space in fuel tank so when you switch into right fuel tank, the non-used fuel will go to left fuel tank and not out from left fuel tank ventilation.

And (of course) pls. NEVER cover ventilation holes! Underpressure from fuel pump will destroy fuel tank (tested). 

I know my recommendation souds strange, but I had unfortunatelly opportunity to repair damaged fuel tank already... and it was caused by this mistake.

Best regards!

Martin

With the fuel tank vent on the leading edge of the wing, isn't there the potential to ingest bugs into the fuel system?  When I look at how many bugs I am cleaning off the wing after every flight, I would be surprised if a significant number aren't entering into the vent hole.

Martin:

Another suggestion for future aircraft deliveries would be to include tie down hooks in the four corners of the baggage compartment.  Having up to 100 lbs unsecured behind the seats could become quite a problem if you hit severe turbulence or end up in a crash.  Having tie down hooks would also make it much easier to occasionally safely carry an oxygen cylinder (like a Mountain High AL-682 with a padded case) without going to a lot of trouble to install a permanent mounting arrangement. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Registered
On 7/15/2016 at 4:27 AM, mikeschumann said:

Martin:

Another suggestion for future aircraft deliveries would be to include tie down hooks in the four corners of the baggage compartment.  Having up to 100 lbs unsecured behind the seats could become quite a problem if you hit severe turbulence or end up in a crash.  Having tie down hooks would also make it much easier to occasionally safely carry an oxygen cylinder (like a Mountain High AL-682 with a padded case) without going to a lot of trouble to install a permanent mounting arrangement. 

I agree that hooks/eyebolts/slots of some sort would be very useful for attaching straps. I do worry about the unrestrained baggage in a crash, and I sometimes want to carry 20 pound battery for soaring. In that case, I'm more concerned about it bouncing around in turbulence; of course, it would dangerous in a crash.

• 1 year later...

Martin:

Eric Greenwell has come up with an exhaust diverter that very effectively reduces the amount of oil that contaminates the bottom of the Phoenix fuselage.  See this post:

Is there any chance that you could create a retrofit part that replicates Eric's design.  I'm sure that all of the current Phoenix owners would order one.

• 3 months later...

Today I had a problem opening the cowl flap while in flight.  When the cable isn't properly lubricated, it can be very difficult to open the flap.

If the function of the cowl control was reversed, so that you pull on the cable to open the flap, and push to close, you wouldn't find yourself in the situation in flight where you couldn't open the flap.  You might not be able to close the flap, but that isn't nearly as a significant a problem of having a flap that is stuck closed and results in an engine over temp condition.

This might be a helpful alteration on future aircraft.

• Registered

Perhaps the control horn could be mounted on the bottom of the flap, effectively reversing it's operation. Or, take the control cable apart for a thorough cleaning.