Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Air park living on the cheap

deckofficer

For those that have researched air park living, the most common price break is the fixer for $300K and it goes up from there. In my research over the last 6 years while I was caring for my dad, I found a number of air parks that are in the price range of the average Joe.

Last week I drove to 7 Bays, Washington to look at a couple of homes, and made an offer on one. The Realtor hadn't mentioned the seller took out a 2nd on the property and wanted more than market. He has a renter and has positive cash flow, so he refused my offer. In the long run this was a good thing, but that was a long drive to come up empty. 7 Bays is right on Lake Roosevelt with its 650 miles of shore line. Below are some pictures of the place I put an offer on and the area.

DSC00481_zpssnkwghrt.jpg

DSC00508_zpsarfixmtf.jpg

DSC00516_zpszko7mfez.jpg

DSC00490_zpsffyrl8aq.jpg

DSC00497_zpstauze3qs.jpg

DSC00483_zpspyltv7ug.jpg

I just got back from a even longer drive in the opposite direction to Columbus, New Mexico. For the aviation history buffs, this was the 1st Aero Squadron for the US back in 1916. Within one section of land about 3 miles north of Columbus, there are 3 air parks. Hacienda Sur Luna Air Park has a paved and lighted 4800' runway, no HOA fees, and is considered the "high end" of the 3 air parks. All lots are either 2.5 acres or 5 acres, and the last pre-owned home and hangar sold last month for $70K. There is another home and hangar listed at $138K, but with that recent $70K sell, $138K is a stretch. Here is a video of the owner of the $70K home going for a short hop.

The next air park is Windsock Estates and my friend Dick lives there and put me up for the two nights I was there. His is the nicest in this air park and his hangar is 80' X 60' and on 5 acres. He would consider selling at $200K. A few pictures of Dick's home.

DSC00534_zpspngrrcap.jpg

DSC00525_zpsepxnggpv.jpg

The final air park is 1st Aero Squadron Airpark and has the "cheap seats". The last two air parks have dirt/compacted gravel 5200' runways, both in great shape and maintained for free. Also no HOA fees. Dick's first place was here and it has changed hands twice over the years. The current owner doesn't get down much any more but never placed it on the market. Dick asked if he might want to sell it without even listing it and he replied "yes". All Jim wanted was what he bought it for years ago and said $45K~$50K. I split the difference and offered $47,500, and it was accepted, so now I have a home/hangar on 2.5 acres that is rather modest but will serve me just fine. The hangar is 60' X 40' with the home in the back plus a 2nd bedroom as a add on room outside the hangar's foot print. Only 725 square feet of living space, but it is only me.  I've met a number of my neighbors, what a great earthy group. Summers aren't as hot as the location would indicate because it is on the southern section of the Continental Divide so elevation is 4200'. Mexico with all the cheap dentists, pharmacies, and optometrists are 6 miles south of the air parks.

My new home/hangar
DSC00548_zpsgims9y0t.jpg

DSC00565_zpsyhwtlu3w.jpg

DSC00567_zpsrmd1r4g5.jpg

DSC00568_zpsgcl2buij.jpg

DSC00555_zpsmtcjsren.jpg

DSC00551_zpswhyo8muv.jpg

DSC00546_zpswoaiqgnt.jpg

DSC00554_zpsgkl81dmq.jpg

DSC00557_zpsrdyxznjv.jpg

DSC00556_zpsltsanmwx.jpg

DSC00591_zpsotiuz2y2.jpg

DSC00586_zpsdynibuvz.jpg

I guess the purpose of this long post is for the folks that would like to retire at an air park and be able to do it on the cheap. I met Mary, Steve, Ron, and Dick, the common denominator is to fly on a tight budget. Flying takes 1st seat, ego, social status and keeping up with the Jones's doesn't even get a seat, my kind of folks.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.  What an adventure and it sounds like you found a way to optimize your retirement.  Hope to hear more in the coming months.

BTW I lived in Spruce Creek Fly-In, probably the grand-daddy of the airports, when I worked at Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach.  We built a house and always wished I could have kept it.  It's changed hands a few times since we left.  I try to go back once a year or so and visit friends.  One of their fun traditions was taxiing out and meeting at the "Tree" on Saturday mornings for 'hangar flying' and then a joint trek for brunch.  The bonding of an airpark is pretty remarkable.

Congratulations again.

Your right, Spruce Creek is the most well known air park probably in the world. When you have some time I would like to hear more about the social atmosphere of your old air park. Typically a pilot has a strong ego and confidence which isn't a negative, and to enjoy the high end of the aviation lifestyle, has been very successful in their business ventures. I've heard many stories when you gather a lot of these type "A" personalities into a air park community, there tends to be competition for power and prestige. Since Spruce Creek has a cross section of affordable condos and multi-million dollar homes, I have to wonder what it is like in this community? 

The 3 air parks that make up the place I bought in, the one with the paved strip has a few CC&R's, the next one has less, and the one I'm in has more or less none. All 3 air parks represent the lowest cost flying communities to be found and my new neighbors that I met are what would be called salt of the earth types, sharing flying in common, and not ashamed of the fact they fly and live on a shoe string. 

I joined this forum because I was on the fence about what type of "no medical" flying I was going to do in my retirement. I'm still on the fence but am leaning towards ELSA STOL for the adventure of back country flying and camping. Dick, who I mention in the above post has some heavy equipment that he put to work helping a friend build an RV park at the hot springs that are about an hours drive north of the air parks. In return his friend gave him a site for his RV for free that he uses a lot. He is now thinking of putting in a dirt strip so that the hour commute is reduced to 20 minutes. Being a former hang glider pilot, I do enjoy the serenity of quiet soaring without an engine, and would love to have a Pipistrel for both soaring and cross country. Used I'm looking at $80K and up, while something like a CH-701 or Savannah used would be a bit less than 1/2 the price. For the budget minded that would enjoy back country trips and camping, a rather strong incentive on price alone. If I go that route I hope I'm still welcome on this site because I would like to meet up with the folks here at some of your gatherings. Maybe by experiencing both realms I can decide which side of the fence I want to get off of. The nice thing about ELSA STOL type of aircraft, on the used market they are plentiful. 

Wow what a deal!  The hangar door is even wide enough for my Diamond Hk36TTC.  I'm in a leased 60' x 50' at KCMA.

My wife inherited 40 acres in Columbus.  Nothing on it, though.

Gil Scott

KCMA Camarillo CA

Gil,

I'm also currently in California and would have liked to retire at Cameron Air Park just above the fog of Sacramento and below the snow of Tahoe. Instead of adding to my retirement savings during my most productive years, I cared for my dad. 

Since Columbus, NM is just 3 miles south of the above 3 air parks, is there any chance you would trade those 40 acres for something at the air parks?