Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Welcome to New Members

Steve Sliwa

New members/users should feel free to post their greetings here and include a picture of your Touring Motor Glider if you like. Welcome aboard!

A quick hello to eveyone.

We are located in Headland Alabama, this is in the deep south by Dothan Alabama 30 miles from Fla and 20 miles Ga. We use the aircraft for

patrol, Drug search, lost persons, traffic.

Our aircraft was issued to us from Home land security ( free ) to any Law Enforcement using it for law Enforcement purpose. A great tool for us

I will post pics soon but need to say glad to be on board.

Larry Hudson ( Boomer )

Hi Boomer

How many pilots are there using the machine? How many hours would you say you put on per year? Also, can you explain a little bit how you use it. For example, do you have cameras, carry a separate comms, do you go solo or with observer, etc.? Glad to have you on board.

Hey Boomer,

Here's a few tidbits you might find of interest. I learned this stuff about the Ximango when I visited Aeromot last year (Jan '11) while in Brazil on business. The Brazilian Federal Police have been using the Ximango as a surveillance aircraft for nigh onto 25 years. They also use the Ximango for coastal patrols, wildlife management, etc. It is their preferred aircraft (80 hp version) because it's so cheap to operate (especially compared to a helicopter) and the loiter time is better than anything else in their inventory. Claudio Vienna (owner of Aeromot) showed me a letter the Federal Police sent him stating that the Ximango was the preferred aircraft for aerial surveillance and directed it's staff to use the Ximango over other aircraft in their inventory whenever practical. Another Ximango was outfitted by the factory for a gas, mining and mineral outfit in Sao Paulo using a hyperspectral sensor mounted on the belly. The sensor is used for detecting mineral and gas deposits. Aeromot also outfitted this Ximango with a retractable FLIR ball, complete with an RF downlink to a mobile unit for aerial surveillance. I have a video that Claudio gave me of the FLIR equipped Ximango. Trying to figure out how to post it. Apparently, it won't imbed here. So, I'll figure out how to post it and link it to this thread later when I have more time.

Although it hasn't been exported and it hasn't been Type Certified outside of Brazil, Aeromot also makes a primary aerobatic trainer out of the Ximango airframe, minus the outboard wing sections. This version is called the "Guri". I saw seven of them while in Brazil at a flying club near Porto Allegre, but around 25 or so have been built and some are in use by the Brazilian Air Force as primary trainers. Some were built as fixed trigears and others were built as taildragger retracts like the Ximango. The versions of the Guri I saw were fixed gear and had O-200's installed, but I was told an IO-360 could be fitted, too, and it would cruise around 180 kts on the retract version.

Here's a picture of the Guri. Click on the picture to make it bigger:

post-52-144848145695_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing the Ximango you fly is one of the TG-14's from the Air Force Academy?

Regards,

John Lawton

Whitwell, TN (TN89)

Ximango #135

Edited by Thermalseeker
Added Picture

• 9 months later...

Hello,

My name is Steve Chatfield, I live in San Diego and I don't own any aircraft presently. In fact, I don't have any certifications to fly anything at all. I'm attracted to this web site as a source of information and guidance while I develop a plan/mission for getting into a cockpit. Briefly, my flying background began and ended in the 1960s and 1970s as a Navy pilot, mostly flying the F4 Phantom J model. For about thirty years afterward I concentrated on building a career in commercial real estate, raising our kids and other pursuits my wife considered "safe" like sailing, surfing, scuba diving, skiing---(you getting the picture?) but flying-never! With my wife's blessing, I did take a stab at getting my PPL(SEL) about ten years ago but we were putting our second son into college at the time and my wife was laid off, so I put that on hold just about the time I would have taken my first solo cross country. Then, about a year ago I was ready to try again when I experienced a medical problem that put it all on hold again. In spite of my doctor's vigorous assertion that I'm healthier than most guys half my age, the FAA has found one deficiency in my application for a special issuance Class III medical after another (and I first applied last May).

But there's some good news in all this. One, I am healthy; I just needed a pacemaker to control a slow resting heartbeat that probably derived from years of endurance training as a triathlete (yeah, I did that too). Two, I successfully got my wife intrigued by showing her the Airnav data about Truckee airport near where our son lives and she is now gung ho to learn more about navigation, meteorology and using a motorglider as a transportation alternative to the ten hour drive from San Diego. My plan at the moment is still to pursue the PPL (SEL), get my IR and then transition to PPL(G) with the motorglider endorsement, maybe buy something like a Grob 109B that has been certificated as an IFR capable platform and let the whole FAA medical thing go by the wayside. Since day one at Pensacola I've always been one of those head out of the cockpit fliers more interested in flying for its own sake than from getting from point A to point B. So, I definitely want to put the effort into developing the soaring skills, but I think it would be a nice plus to be able to use a glider for practical purposes as well. After all, my wife and I lived on one of our sailboats for about two years.

So, that's my story and an explanation in advance for all the dumb questions I'm sure to pose to all of you. If you West Coasters ever get down my way, give me a ring and I'll take you boat sailing (as opposed to the other kind).

Regards,

Steve

Hello,

My name is Steve Chatfield, I live in San Diego and I don't own any aircraft presently. In fact, I don't have any certifications to fly anything at all. I'm attracted to this web site as a source of information and guidance while I develop a plan/mission for getting into a cockpit. Briefly, my flying background began and ended in the 1960s and 1970s as a Navy pilot, mostly flying the F4 Phantom J model. For about thirty years afterward I concentrated on building a career in commercial real estate, raising our kids and other pursuits my wife considered "safe" like sailing, surfing, scuba diving, skiing---(you getting the picture?) but flying-never! With my wife's blessing, I did take a stab at getting my PPL(SEL) about ten years ago but we were putting our second son into college at the time and my wife was laid off, so I put that on hold just about the time I would have taken my first solo cross country. Then, about a year ago I was ready to try again when I experienced a medical problem that put it all on hold again. In spite of my doctor's vigorous assertion that I'm healthier than most guys half my age, the FAA has found one deficiency in my application for a special issuance Class III medical after another (and I first applied last May).

But there's some good news in all this. One, I am healthy; I just needed a pacemaker to control a slow resting heartbeat that probably derived from years of endurance training as a triathlete (yeah, I did that too). Two, I successfully got my wife intrigued by showing her the Airnav data about Truckee airport near where our son lives and she is now gung ho to learn more about navigation, meteorology and using a motorglider as a transportation alternative to the ten hour drive from San Diego. My plan at the moment is still to pursue the PPL (SEL), get my IR and then transition to PPL(G) with the motorglider endorsement, maybe buy something like a Grob 109B that has been certificated as an IFR capable platform and let the whole FAA medical thing go by the wayside. Since day one at Pensacola I've always been one of those head out of the cockpit fliers more interested in flying for its own sake than from getting from point A to point B. So, I definitely want to put the effort into developing the soaring skills, but I think it would be a nice plus to be able to use a glider for practical purposes as well. After all, my wife and I lived on one of our sailboats for about two years.

So, that's my story and an explanation in advance for all the dumb questions I'm sure to pose to all of you. If you West Coasters ever get down my way, give me a ring and I'll take you boat sailing (as opposed to the other kind).

Regards,

Steve

Steve

Thank you for sharing your experiences, and we look forward to your active participation in this segment of aviation. With your flying and boating background I'm confident that you will readily make the transition to "our world". Answers to your questions are only a posting away (and there are never any dumb questions). In the San Diego area, Warner Springs glider port is a great facility to get the PP-G rating.

Regards,

Richard Pearl

Steve

Thank you for sharing your experiences, and we look forward to your active participation in this segment of aviation. With your flying and boating background I'm confident that you will readily make the transition to "our world". Answers to your questions are only a posting away (and there are never any dumb questions). In the San Diego area, Warner Springs glider port is a great facility to get the PP-G rating.

Regards,

Richard Pearl

• 1 month later...

Hello all, took delivery of the new Phoenix in Fl. last July (after Minden fly in). This motorglider as an LSA covers all the bases, especially folks that might have a medical issue but still safe to fly and park it in a 38' hangar. Wing tip changes from 36' sport plane to 15 meter glider, Fun to fly like the Lambada with a few changes. Same designer,different company. Based in Sedona Az. Look forward to coming to this years Minden fly in. Great web site John Sieberts

Hello all, took delivery of the new Phoenix in Fl. last July (after Minden fly in). This motorglider as an LSA covers all the bases, especially folks that might have a medical issue but still safe to fly and park it in a 38' hangar. Wing tip changes from 36' sport plane to 15 meter glider, Fun to fly like the Lambada with a few changes. Same designer,different company. Based in Sedona Az. Look forward to coming to this years Minden fly in. Great web site John Sieberts

Just joined the site. I am taking delivery on a Pipistrel Virus SW with the fuel injected 100 HP engine, later this month. It will be registered as an Experimental Glider. Like others on this board, I am trying to avoid the Medical (although I am in great health now) and fly fast. I am looking forward to doing lots of cross countries and will send pictures as I get them.

Just joined the site. I am taking delivery on a Pipistrel Virus SW with the fuel injected 100 HP engine, later this month. It will be registered as an Experimental Glider. Like others on this board, I am trying to avoid the Medical (although I am in great health now) and fly fast. I am looking forward to doing lots of cross countries and will send pictures as I get them.

Welcome to the forum! Keep us informed on how that injected 912 works out for you. I hear they're going to try to certify it soon. As I approach calendar TBO on my Ximango's 912s my interest is keen in the 912iS. I like the thought of not having to sync carbs again. Undoubtedly better fuel economy than the Bing carbys could ever provide, too.

Welcome to the forum! Keep us informed on how that injected 912 works out for you. I hear they're going to try to certify it soon. As I approach calendar TBO on my Ximango's 912s my interest is keen in the 912iS. I like the thought of not having to sync carbs again. Undoubtedly better fuel economy than the Bing carbys could ever provide, too.

John, thanks for the post, and we look forward to seeing you at Minden this year. It would definitely help in our planning if you, and others who are anticipating coming to this event (or others, e.g. the Harris Ranch, CA regional fly-in), sign up in the appropriate Events section of the Events tab. Under the "Attend" column is a pull-down menu allowing the answer: Yes, Probable, Maybe, Unlikely, and No; the latter two primarily for previous attendees. As one of the organizers of the Minden event, we need to get a handle on potential attendees. There's a lot of logistics involved in these events, and we have to start make commitments to hotels, restaurants, the Minden airport, etc.

Last year we had 24 ships on the line, and I think we will significantly go past that mark this year...but it's difficult doing the planning if everyone just waits until a week before the event. We understand about weather, job responsibilities, illnesses, etc. but if you're seriously, or semi-seriously, planning on coming this year, please do the "sign-up thing". Additionally, an attendee might have an empty seat that could be filled by a (cost-sharing) potential TMG owner. That could be a win-win for everyone and I know of a potential owner in Texas who would love to find a ride. There should be other similar situations. Between the sign-up sheet AND everyone getting placed on the Member Map (hint, hint if you haven't done so already, go to Members > Maps and find the data entry box under the Map) it's a great way to use the full potential of the TMGA website. Note to potential TMG owners who might come to the Minden Fly-In: sign up and put in the TMG column "looking for ride; location XXXX".

Richard Pearl

John, thanks for the post, and we look forward to seeing you at Minden this year. It would definitely help in our planning if you, and others who are anticipating coming to this event (or others, e.g. the Harris Ranch, CA regional fly-in), sign up in the appropriate Events section of the Events tab. Under the "Attend" column is a pull-down menu allowing the answer: Yes, Probable, Maybe, Unlikely, and No; the latter two primarily for previous attendees. As one of the organizers of the Minden event, we need to get a handle on potential attendees. There's a lot of logistics involved in these events, and we have to start make commitments to hotels, restaurants, the Minden airport, etc.

Last year we had 24 ships on the line, and I think we will significantly go past that mark this year...but it's difficult doing the planning if everyone just waits until a week before the event. We understand about weather, job responsibilities, illnesses, etc. but if you're seriously, or semi-seriously, planning on coming this year, please do the "sign-up thing". Additionally, an attendee might have an empty seat that could be filled by a (cost-sharing) potential TMG owner. That could be a win-win for everyone and I know of a potential owner in Texas who would love to find a ride. There should be other similar situations. Between the sign-up sheet AND everyone getting placed on the Member Map (hint, hint if you haven't done so already, go to Members > Maps and find the data entry box under the Map) it's a great way to use the full potential of the TMGA website. Note to potential TMG owners who might come to the Minden Fly-In: sign up and put in the TMG column "looking for ride; location XXXX".

Richard Pearl

Shane, make the Minden national Fly-In one of your cross countries. We have quite a number of pilots annually make "true" cross-country flights, e.g. Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Florida, etc. Maybe some of you guys could like up for the final leg to Minden. So, sign up in the Events tab and keep a look-out for others as they sign up, and where they're from. Using the flexibility of the TMGA website it's easy to communicate with them.

Regards,

Richard

Shane, make the Minden national Fly-In one of your cross countries. We have quite a number of pilots annually make "true" cross-country flights, e.g. Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Florida, etc. Maybe some of you guys could like up for the final leg to Minden. So, sign up in the Events tab and keep a look-out for others as they sign up, and where they're from. Using the flexibility of the TMGA website it's easy to communicate with them.

Regards,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am Mitch Williams from Chickasha, OK. We run a small flight school with C150, PA28, C172, and an Ercoupe. We are looking into adding a Powered Glider as a way to lower the cost of flight, let people fly without an medical, etc. My questions are:

1. I have some time in Ultralights and fat-ULs and other LSA aircraft. Many of the lighter ones are no fun to fly in our normal winds and turbulence especially on hot windy days. Does the High-aspect ratio (really longs) wings cushion the ride? Will this be fun to fly on really hot and/or windy days?

2. How much crosswind can a motorglider handle?

3. With more than 45 Foot wingspan, do most people take the wings off each night like a non-powered glider, or do you leave them on?

4. On a touring mission (cross country), would you rather climb up then shut-down and glide for a longtime, then power back up if needed?, or do us just use a cruise power setting?

5. I was thinking about forming a club, then renting the powered glider by the engine hour. Then a clubber could power-up, climb 20 minutes and fly 8 hours at the cost of .3 hrs. Does anybody do this?

mitch

www.chickashawings.com