Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Wheel stand for changing tires

sheridan9sc

In replacing a tire, I did not have the tools to pry the tire off the rim as suggested in the maintenance manual. How have others changed tires?

In the interim, I found it easier to disassemble the rim into two halves by removing the six screws.  I have now built a wheel stand to simplify the process of removing the six screws. By placing the deflated tire in the stand, the wheel is steadied so that I can use an allen wrench in one hand and the nut-driver in the other. For the stand, I used some 1 x 6" wood from another project.  Two 13" boards are separated by 2" x 4" blocks. The scooped out area probably isn't necessary, but I wanted to be able to reach all the screws without moving the tire (depth of 1 1/2" through the middle third of the board). Just make sure to keep the cone shaped axle spacer in place while reassembling the two halves (I use a section of dowel almost as thick as the narrow end of the cone).

David Sheridan

WheelStand.jpg

Interesting jig....

I am flying mostly on grass and since year 2009 I changed tyres only once (+3 times I had to repair tube).

But I beleive that landings on concrete (asphalt) runway will request to change tyres more often.

Of course depends also on how frequently you are flying, but I guess that tyres change once per two years can be realistic. Especially if you have to land time to time in crosswind conditions.

Best regards!

Martin

I agree with Martin.  We fly from a concrete runway and generally land in 70 to 90 degree crosswinds. Frequency of replacement depends more on pilot experience, though, than the plane itself; my partner and I are both low-hour flyers.  We replaced the tailwheel once within 100 hours and it is still in good condition at 450 hours. We have also replaced the main gear wheels once or twice in that time.