Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Dynon skyview yellow background with notation "no adsb"

Gfeldman

Hi Phoenix pilots

On the 44nm journey back from my first annual my Dynon Skyview showed a yellow screen with the notation no adsb. The GPS was working perfectly. I called Dynon and we went through the diagnostics while on the phone. In essence Dynon could find no fault with the Skyview itself. It is possible that during the annual the link to the antenna was somehow interrupted. My A&P says that this is unlikely. The other possibility is a service interruption. Have any of you seen this on your Skyviews?
George Feldman

Hi George,

Most likely it is the result of incomplete ADSB coverage in that area, or at that altitude.  It is very common for the ADSB to drop out.  I have seen this regularly in trips around the US, and especially at low altitudes even in areas where ADSB coverage is good.  Here in Minden, I have to climb above 4000'agl (8000' msl) to start receiving ADSB coverage for traffic or weather.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the advice. When I flew yesterday all was normal with the Dynon. Really not sure what caused the yellow screen or what it means. I did turn weather off and on again in the map>layers menu but this did not reproduce the yellow color.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, ADSB is great stuff, but must be careful to note when it is not available so that your visual see and avoid is on full alert status. Even in our busy area between Philadelphia and New York, ADS-B dropout is not unusual.

Dave