Jump to content
Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)
Kmotexas

New kit on the block

Recommended Posts

Kmotexas

Hi all,

my name is Klaus Oestreich. My home and home airport is 4TA0 - 30miles south of Houston,TX. It did glider 40 years ago at Bayer Leverkusen aero club.......long time ago.

15 years ago I got my privat at AXH and a Stinson 108 with 40gal fuel on board. What for a nice ship......slow and with an gas guzzler Franklin 165.  Newer less, I did it all the way up North to Thompson, MA Canada and back the West side of the Rocky Mountains over New Mexico (-:

After my third Canada trip in the Stinson I got my self  Bonanza J35 with 90gal on board. What for an improvement...... ((((-: 100%longer legs and almost 50% faster on the same fuel consumption. 

After my heart attack a few month ago and not willing to go on with the FAA special medical paper war. I sold my Bonanza and was looking in LSA's . Not really happy with the 10000ft limit , not flying to Canada and so on I remembered  my glider time way back...........and here we go.

Getting some base information on Google I think the Super Ximango is my #1. I really like the Stemme S10.....well I'm a German Engineer (-;

I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. Like to get some input and motor glider flying time under my belt before writing the check........this gives me also time to clean up my hanger.

I always like company flying into my place for a coffee. So, when you in my area and like to take a break ........3x 123.45 for light and 122.9 CTAF. 

Klaus

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airusa

Klaus, I do have some suggestions for you in order to be able to continue flying.  As you know the motorglider will allow that because a medical is not required to fly a glider. I am a dealer and I have in stock two motorgliders.  Both are SunDancers manufactured in the Czech Republic.  I think the SunDancer is very unique and in comparison to others, the least expensive to operate. I can put you in touch with other owners who swear by them and how much flying fun they provide.  They are in the Light Sport Category and I believe they are accepted in Canada, but Canada requires a medical I believe for everyone.

The photo below was taken in the Czech Republic after final test flight for these two SunDancers. If you are interested I will send you details upon your request.  My contact information is below.

Joe Kulbeth  559-960-7873, Fresno, CA   joekulbeth.airusa@gmail.com  give me a call or email me and we can get started on the details.

 

SunDancer 2 ea.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmotexas

Hi Joe,

so far I know flying than in the glider class ( need a self lunch - don't remember the right wording - endorsement ) I can cross borders. Can the SunDancer be flown in the glider class or only LSA class?

Is someone out there to answer this question?  

" Can I fly without a medical in a glider to Canada "

Klaus

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
algee1_73@yahoo.com

Guten Tag Klaus,

Ich heise Alan, und whonen im Seattle.  Ich hab ein Phoenix U15, jetzt fur 3 Jahre.  And that's enough auf Deutsch for the moment.

The status of SLSA-G (Special Light Sport Airplane - Glider) is very confusing here, but this is the way it works, at least for the Phoenix, which is typical:  The airplane is built to ASME standards, as are all LSA's.  It's imported to the U.S. in the category of SLSA-G.  It is registered here as a glider.

You maintain an airplane in it's category, and you operate it as it's registered.  So, registered as a glider, my Phoenix has none of the restrictions of an LSA.  It can fly outside the U.S., go above 10,000 ft., exceed 120 KTAS (but!  It is restricted by its operating instructions to 120 KTAS Vne, so by 'coincidence' I can not exceed the LSA Vne of 120 kts, except that it is not because it is an LSA - told you it was confusing), can fly at night, and whatever other LSA restrictions would normally apply.

Canada honors what the FAA grants to an airplane, but you must still adhere to Canadian flight rules and procedures, which you are already familiar with from your past experience.

If any one disagrees with any of this, please state your case.  It has been a long confusing topic!  I got my information from becoming a Light Sport Repairman.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmotexas
1 hour ago, algee1_73@yahoo.com said:

Guten Tag Klaus,

Ich heise Alan, und whonen im Seattle.  Ich hab ein Phoenix U15, jetzt fur 3 Jahre.  And that's enough auf Deutsch for the moment.

The status of SLSA-G (Special Light Sport Airplane - Glider) is very confusing here, but this is the way it works, at least for the Phoenix, which is typical:  The airplane is built to ASME standards, as are all LSA's.  It's imported to the U.S. in the category of SLSA-G.  It is registered here as a glider.

You maintain an airplane in it's category, and you operate it as it's registered.  So, registered as a glider, my Phoenix has none of the restrictions of an LSA.  It can fly outside the U.S., go above 10,000 ft., exceed 120 KTAS (but!  It is restricted by its operating instructions to 120 KTAS Vne, so by 'coincidence' I can not exceed the LSA Vne of 120 kts, except that it is not because it is an LSA - told you it was confusing), can fly at night, and whatever other LSA restrictions would normally apply.

Canada honors what the FAA grants to an airplane, but you must still adhere to Canadian flight rules and procedures, which you are already familiar with from your past experience.

If any one disagrees with any of this, please state your case.  It has been a long confusing topic!  I got my information from becoming a Light Sport Repairman.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikeschumann

I also own a Phoenix Motorglider.  I just got back to Naples FL from a trip to Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas.  With 30:1 glide ratio, this is the perfect airplane for flying over hostile terrain.  Flying at 9,500 ft, I was within final glide of an airport for the entire trip.

You should definitely check out the Phoenix.  With full fuel and two adults you can still fly with 100lbs of baggage.  A ballistic recovery chut is standard.  My plane has a full blown Dynon Skyview system with 2020 compliant ADS-B IN & OUT, and a two axis autopilot.

However, the best feature is the removable wing tips.  Removing the tips, which takes less than a minute (the tips weigh about 15 lbs), reduces the wingspan to 35' so the Phoenix will fit in any standard T hangar.

On top of that, you can use it as a glider.....

The only down side is that delivery time is currently ~ 2 years after you place your order.  Used aircraft are basically not available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skip

any day now this third class medical will just be a commie thing of the past, it's already law so buy what you want, mooney, what ever. 18,000 ft, 250 knots or miles.. forgot. 6000 pound gross. twin okay, helicopter fine... enjoy my friend.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airusa
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:36 PM, Kmotexas said:

Hi Joe,

so far I know flying than in the glider class ( need a self lunch - don't remember the right wording - endorsement ) I can cross borders. Can the SunDancer be flown in the glider class or only LSA class?

Is someone out there to answer this question?  

" Can I fly without a medical in a glider to Canada "

Klaus

Hey Klaus,

I just googled you question about flying gliders in Canada without a medical certificate. So for google says yes, but you have to have some sort of check up sorta of like what is going to be required for us pilots in the USA will have to do after May 1, 2017.  I suppose you could actually look up the Canadian regulations to be sure.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmotexas
18 hours ago, Skip said:

any day now this third class medical will just be a commie thing of the past, it's already law so buy what you want, mooney, what ever. 18,000 ft, 250 knots or miles.. forgot. 6000 pound gross. twin okay, helicopter fine... enjoy my friend.........

You  still need to get a special medical from the FAA after a heard attack........when not passing my expired medical is gone 

and LSA is not possible anymore ever. 

Klaus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kmotexas
15 hours ago, airusa said:

 

 

15 hours ago, airusa said:

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikeschumann

Getting a glider license is definitely the best option.  No medical.  Period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pdrav8r

Hi Klaus,

Try a Pipistrel Sinus.  They are available as a kit or ready to fly, with tricycle or conventional gear. Because of the high wing, entry & exit are very easy.  Parachute option and many avionics options are available.  Lead time is typically Les than a year. I’ve flown one all over the USA. They are a joy to fly. 

Paul Randall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×