Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)
JDB

IFR Training / Motorgliders

Question

JDB

I am a Private Pilot Glider, Single-Engine Land.  I am working in my instrument rating.  I have been reading the FAR trying to figure out the answer to the following questions, but maybe someone here has some experience with this:

1) Can I get 40 of the 50 hours of required non IFR cross country experience in a motorglider?  Here are my current thoughts:

FAR 61.65(d)(1) states that 50 hours must be cross-country as pilot in command, but does not specify that it must be in an airplane (so I assume this just means aircraft which can be a glider).  It however does specifically state that 10 of the hours must be in an airplane (which can not be a motorglider). Specifically, it states:

(d) Aeronautical experience for the instrument-airplane rating. A person who applies for an instrument-airplane rating must have logged:

• (1) Except as provided in paragraph (g) of this section, 50 hours of cross-country flight time as pilot in command, of which 10 hours must have been in an airplane; and

2) Once I have my airplane-IFR rating, would I be able to fly a motorglider that is properly equipped under IFR?

1 answer to this question

airusa

The cross country time can be completed in a motor glider. Flying a motor glider in IMC conditions can be done as well as long as the aircraft and pilot meet the requirements for IFR and or IMC conditions. There are Motor-gliders that are properly equipped such as Xamingo and IFR can be done to include IMC.

Joe Kulbeth

Aeronautical & Industrial Resources USA.        AIRUSA
Lambada and Samba Distributor Other Services
559-960-7873.