Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Tailwheel and Rudder Inspection Info

Jim Lee

The following is paraphrased from an email chain to provide information on rudder and tailwheel inspections.

Farhad Saba:

I own U15/07. In late July of 2017 my aircraft ran off the runway to the left on takeoff. This is despite my application of full right rudder. I managed to slow the plane down and after the landing gear collapsed the aircraft came to a halt. Thankfully I walked away unharmed. Upon further examination it was revealed that my right rudder did not fully deflect to the right by pressing the right pedal to the floor. However the rudder and the tail wheel could be further deflected to the right by actually grabbing the rudder by hand and moving it to the right. The deflection difference between the right and left is 1/3 of the travel distance or slightly more.

Please check your rudder for full deflection before each take off by having someone outside the cockpit confirm full deflection when you preflight the rudders.

So to be exact this is the third time I have experienced failure with my Phoenix rudder/tail wheel system as follows: 

1- about 2.5 years ago the turnbuckle on the right rudder broke just before landing due to the turn buckle being frozen on the rudder pedal and not turning freely. I landed safely! Jim Lee kindly took off the turnbuckle off of his Phoenix and sent it to me. My mechanic and I had to file down the pedal rod to fit the turnbuckle and ensure it’s free movement. Problem solved.

2- earlier this year my Phoenix ran off the runway to the left after a glider landing ( I had landed the Phoenix even better than Jim Lee) despite full right rudder.

3- after replacing the prop and bottom cowling on my first flight I ran off the run way on take off.

Only after further examination did we find out my rudder does not fully travel to the right, which is the cause of the 2nd incident as well.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a very happy and healthy New Year,

Farhad Saba

Now from Jim Lee, Phoenix Air USA:

The rudder pedal to turnbuckle to cable to rudder in the Phoenix is a very simple and common arrangement shared by many types of aircraft.  What is not common is the dual steel rod connection to the tailwheel bracket, each of which can negatively impact the action of the rudder or tailwheel if damaged.  Taken as individual parts, it is easy to examine all of the parts that impact the rudder and the tailwheel and determine if the action is free and correct.  If the tailwheel bracket is bent or broken, it can produce the scenario which Farhad describes.  In fact, this has happened to another Phoenix exactly as Farhad describes.  When the bent tailwheel bracket was replaced the reduction of control on the ground was solved. 

Farhad's suggestion to check your rudder for full deflection is right on, and should be part of every pre-flight inspection.  But take this one step further and examine your tailwheel in detail (not on every preflight, but the next time at the airport).  Put your aft fuselage on a padded 2' high block.  Use a creeper or lay on your back, and use a powerful flashlight to examine the tailwheel, the tailwheel bracket, and the two steel rods which connect the tailwheel bracket to the rudder.  Move the rudder to full extension.  Look at the rudder deflection decal and confirm that the rudder moves fully as indicated on the decal.  Have someone sit in the cockpit and move the rudder pedals to full extension and note the rudder deflection on the decal.  Have your A&P or LSRM do this at every annual inspection.   However!  We have learned that it is difficult or impossible to detect a bent tailwheel bracket unless it is removed from the plane.  If you have a hard tail strike, it is imperative that you remove the tailwheel and bracket for close examination.  

After the recent Icon A5 fatal accidents, the first thing I thought of was how lucky(?) I am that noone has ever been injured, much less killed, in a Phoenix to date.  I have lost so many friends in aviation accidents that I have lost count.  All of you are to be commended for your safety oriented flying.  Martin is to be commended for designing such a fabulous aircraft.  Thank you all ever so much.  Keep up the good work.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year!

Jim

dimensions 1.jpg