Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Baggage Compartment Floor Pan Installation Tip

mikeschumann

This week, as we were reassembling my Phoenix during its Annual inspection, we ran into a major challenge reinstalling the baggage compartment floor pan behind the pilot's seat.  The following procedure ultimately worked:

1.  Remove the locking bolt securing the main spar pin.  This was the critical step to get enough clearance to be able to bend the pan enough to get it into position.

2.  Place the pan into position with the back and outboard edges in their correct locations.  Then push down on the pan, gently bending in the middle to force the front edge past the main spar pin and spar until it snaps into place.

3.  Reinstall the main spar pin locking bolt.

If you have a better procedure, please post.

• Registered

Good info. I've added it to the "Phoenix Guide" I started a while ago that covers flying and maitaining topics that aren't in the manuals. At some point, I will put it online, perhaps as a website so it can be kept current and everyone will be using the same info, but it might start out as a PDF file on the TMGA site that is replaced by an updated version every month. It's a rough draft now, but growing.