Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

Ximango Video Clips

Librarian

I created this snippet and uploaded to YouTube. I took 30,000 hour airline pilot John Mazur on a flight in my Ximango last summer. We had his kids climb Dog Mountain and redezvous with us. We did several passes, but I like this one best.

DOEgsToPDskIwDdM8gs3OvO9UNvwC2Lvo

Edited by Webmaster
spelling

• 2 years later...

As an CFI I have been asked what would happen if spoilers got stuck fully deployed. This led to some experimentation and now it's my favorite way to land.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164&stc=1

IMPORTANT: If this is new to you don't just go try it all at once! Work up to it and carry a LOT of speed into the flare, at least 80 KIAS. Use a long runway so you can pick a touchdown aim point well down it but still have plenty left if you end up reducing spoiler deployment and landing long. Also, ask the tower for a high pattern altitude and advise them you intend a very steep approach. And never do this at uncontrolled airports, other aircraft aren't expecting you to drop in from above.

post-57-144848146787_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sidlinger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday I checked out 40G Valle, the airport near the Grand Canyon with some beautifully-restored antique automobiles as well as a branch location of the Planes of Fame museum. There's also a nice hotel and two nice restaurants within walking distance.

If I recall, there was some concern within the group about the narrow runway. It's definitely pretty narrow, in this video the camera is not much past the midpoint of my Ximango's wing.

I landed there for fuel back in 2010 on my way to Minden for the TMG fly-in. There was an open house/air show going on at Valle at the time. Lots of war birds. I do recall the runway being pretty narrow, but not as narrow as Bryant, CA, where a bunch of us went for lunch:

Entering_downwind_at_Bryant.JPG--