Touring Motor Gliders Association (TMGA)

engine swap going well

raytol

G'Day All,

The Rotax engine swap in my Ximango is going well after a few hiccups! The 100Hp engine has fitted perfectly into the engine frame complete with its new Lord mounts. Some of the things that we should have specified but didn't know we had to were:- The direction of the water connections coming out of the water pump. I guess I should call these parts "liquid cooling" as there is no water as such in the system! We fixed it by fitting the pump housing off the old motor.

- the direction of the liquid cooling pipes coming out of the heads. I hope we have fixed this by heating the Locktite and turning the pipes about 15 degrees. I hope they re-seal. I have put some high temperature silicone around the joint but...

- the fuel supply pipes are different in their routing but the old way worked fine so now I'm not sure which system to put back on.

Another thing that I need some advise on is that I have the aluminium(aluminum) fuel tanks in the wings which show signs of leaking around the gasket of the inspection cover. I have perloined some new gaskets from another Ximango owner but we have to open this cover every 100 hours for tank cleaning and inspection. Can I use aviation gasket fluid around the gasket to seal it if we are also going to use automobile fuel as well as avgas?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray Tolhurst

VH-XJH

YCDN

Australia

Hey Ray,

My tank gaskets appear to be an RTV type material, although I doubt it's RTV. 3M 847 can be used for fuel tanks. Although I'm not certain, I think that is probably what was used on mine. Aircraft Spruce carries it. As for the other various sealants used on the Rotax, refer to the Rotax Heavy Maintenance Manual for a listing of what is used where. There's always a note in every procedure telling what to use, too.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

John Lawton

Whitwell, TN (TN89)

Ximango #135

Edited by Thermalseeker
added info

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks John,

Just have to change the water temp guage to suit the sender and were off! I have sanded and polished the wings and done a heavy annual! I am getting busy at paid employment now so that will slow things up for a while!

Regards,

Ray Tolhurst